Noob Jailbreaking questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mecmecmec, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Mecmecmec macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Major noob questions coming up...

I bought a 3GS through AT&T, it is not currently jailbroken. (I jail broke it once with blackra1n but restored it through iTunes shortly after because I do a lot of financial things and got bugged out at the thought of it not being as secure.)

I would like to jailbreak once again with limera1n but want to know if there is anything I should do first. I've seen a lot of mention about preserving baseband, does this apply to me?

Also will I need to change my ssh password with limera1n? If so, what is the character limit for new passwords (I've heard you can do 256 character pw's).

I know limera1n could be buggy but is there anything I should know such as not being able to restore, problems with apple patches, iTunes, etc.?

I was waiting for greenpois0n but recently found out the 3GS won't be supported.

Is there anything I should know about, or do before I jb with limera1n?

Thanks,
    Mec

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

If you don't care about unlocking don't worry, if you want to unlock wait for greenpoison to come out. It has been delayed but will be released probably later this week. Yes you can change ssh passwords after the jb, don't know the max char. limit but why would you want a 256 char password? You may or may not run into problems with limerain, choice is yours jb now with it or wait for greenpoison to create a custom ipsw later. Judging by your lack of knowledge in jb you will probably be better off with the simpler limerain jb right now than creating a custom ipsw to jb

3. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Fellow noob here, hope you don't mind me jacking your thread but the less topics on noob questions the better the forum will look ;)

I bought a SIM-Free iPhone 4 from Apple, when I put the O2 Micro-SIM in etc, did that lock it? I'm not exactly bothered about it, O2 is the best carrier for my area and usage, but did O2 then LOCK my phone? Or is it still unlocked?

And if my phone is still unlocked, will this JB change anything?
    And if my phone is locked, will this JB close up my chances of an unlock at all? [worst case scenario please I'm aware nothing is 100% known)

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Not 100% sure how things are over in Europe but if your phone is factory unlocked it will stay unlocked regardless of updates. Apple isn't going to sell you an unlocked phone and then lock it... You didn't buy it subsidized so you have no need for a carrier lock.

5. Mecmecmec thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

So I will need to change my ssh pw, right? On one of the forum posts they mentioned ssh might not be an issue with limera1n.

It sounds like I can do a backup in iTunes, jailbreak and then change my ssh pw and I should (hopefully) be good to go?

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Ssh has to be installed via cydia, your phone doesn't just have it so idk what you are talking about. Yes the password can be changed, no it doesn't have to. Ssh just allows you to move files around/to/from your pc and phone when on the same network. Only way someone would be able to hack you would be if you were both on the same network and you had jb ur iPhone and installed openssh and they knew the default password to gain access to your device. All of this can be avoided by either not installing openssh or changing the password. You have nothing to be concerned of as far as security to tell you the truth

7. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Thanks for the response :)

I don't use my iPhone enough. JB would be a fun addition. I can't decide whether to play it safe & wait for a more stable JB...or go ahead with limera1n Beta 4. Hmm.