noob JB questions regarding tether between iPad/iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pitt1717, Jan 30, 2011.

1. pitt1717 macrumors regular

Ok, so i got my ipad and now i have the itch to JB just for tether... really thats all i want to do.
    so here are my questions

1. if i JB my iphone(4.2.1) and the phone needs to be reset/shut off etc. if i turn it back on will i still be able to use phone functions normally until i can get back to my computer?

2. to tether between ipad and iphone do i have to JB both of them? thinking of using mywifi/tether me.... which app can i use so i only have to JB one of them... again really don't want to JB as i like the stability of virgin idevices

3. for the tethered JB all i need is the 4.2.1 ipsw right? i do not need the 4.3bx.ipsw correct... thats only if i do the untethered correct?

sorry for the probably lame questions. but after reading these posts im more confused

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

1. If you've installed anything that modifies SpringBoard (like SBSettings, most likely you will), then no you won't be able to boot without tethering to your Mac (or PC). I believe MyWi will impose the same issue (no boot without tether).

2. No you just need to jailbreak the device providing the connection, not the device receiving the connection.

3. The beta ipsw is only for untethered jailbreaks.

3. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

for question 1, maybe i wasn't clear... lets say i have to reset/turn off the phone for some reason. when i turn it back etc. will i be able to use the phone portion of the phone until i get home?

4. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Not being able to boot past the Apple logo means you won't be able to use any app, not even the Phone app.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

2. You'll have to jb and purchase itether for the iPad, under the current version of tether me. When 4.3 comes out, it'll support hotspot creation.
    Right now, Mywi is the only choice that fits your criteria.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

As Neko Girl said, no. That's why everyone's so hot for UN-tethered jailbreak. Plug your phone in every night and you shouldn't have any problems (unless you're a really heavy user).