Noob MBP Sleep mode question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robEstyles, Feb 27, 2008.

1. robEstyles macrumors newbie

Just got my first Mac this weekend (no I didnt wait for the Penryns but I pulled the trigger because I got 18 mos. no interest financing and the deal ended Saturday). No worries though I'm completely happy with it right now. I do have one issue that I can't seem to figure out if it's possible to do. I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer so hopefully I'm not asking a redundant question.

Anyway the story is I have my MBP set up with an external display and I have a BT keyboard (Apple) and mouse (MS). Both work great. The problem is when it put it in sleep mode. The mouse wakes it up even if I just move it slightly. This is a problem because I have a cat that loves to play with the legs of my desk in the middle of the night and the slight moving of the desk causes the mouse to wake up the computer.

I then tried turning off the mouse but the problem is after I turn it off the MBP then looses connection to the BT device which in turn wakes up the computer again to tell me BT device disconnected.

Basically is there a way where I can disable the ability to wake up the computer with the mouse and only be able to wake it up with the KB. Thats the short question to the situation. Thanks.

2. bamf macrumors 6502

There is an option to either turn on or off the ability to have a BT device wake the computer, but I don't think you will be able to distinguish b/t the KB and the mouse there.

Are you using the machine in clamshell mode (display closed) with your external display? If so, you could turn the option to wake on BT off and simply wake the machine with the Apple remote. If not, you can simply hit a key on the keyboard of the laptop itself to wake the machine...

3. robEstyles thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it's in clamshell mode. I guess I could use the remote as a last resort but I would love to just be able to use the keyboard.