Noob needing a little help with Windows 7 Boot camp install please

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mdoyle, Oct 29, 2015.

1. mdoyle, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

mdoyle macrumors member

Hi there i've been trying for the past 3 days to install Windows 7 home premium 64bit via boot camp as an ISO due to no superdrive. Reason for this is Cryptic who run a MMO called Star Trek Online killed the Mac Client with their latest update on tuesday so no Mac users can log into the game until they fix it took 4 weeks last time.

Basically i've managed to get as far as the Windows set up screen where it asks for a name for the Computer.

Here's where i hit the hurdle USB mouse and Keyboard doesn't work, Wireless mouse doesn't work, nor does the Apple Bluetooth Mouse or Keyboard at this stage, so i am stuck.

I downloaded BootCamp5.1.5621 as when looking for drivers using the standard bootcamp install via the app it couldn't find anything which caused a different issue, black screen with \windows/system32/drivers/applessd.sys error. a restart then took me to language and preferences page which again i got stuck due to no mouse or keyboard.

BootCamp5.1.5621 did install drivers which got me to the windows setup page so a step further

Now i am stumped now how to get around this. I know its probably issue with usb port compatibility between mac and windows. 3.0 vs 2.0. I don't have any external gear to convert or plug into the iMac to make the ports usb 2.0

Clicking on ALT to load the partitions and selecting windows takes me to
    \windows/system32/drivers/applessd.sys error only the Orange Windows will load to setup screen.

I'm using a Late 2013 21in iMac OS version OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

I have deleted the partition and erased the usb stick with the iso via disk utility several times but cannot get any further than this.

Also when loaded into Mac the windows partition is titled untitled

I have a hard drive from a previous late 2009 iMac which had a fully working boot camp on it with all drivers installed. However when trying to load this it wants to go through the setup process as well and again no mouse or keyboard functions.

Please help

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'd purchase a cheap USB mouse/keyboard and plug it in briefly to get past the setup. Don't worry about USB3/2 compatibility as it's all backwards compatible, so it's not going to be due to that.

3. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

I do have a cheap usb mouse and keyboard which works mac side, and all the way through boot camp until it gets to the setup page and then everything stops working.

I have noticed that since i got to this point if i restart the mac with the USB mouse/keyboard plugged into the ports the mac will stay on a grey screen with no apple logo until i unplug them.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Your Mac doesn't have a Superdrive or you removed your Superdrive?
    There's a difference.
    If it's a MacBook that originally came with a Superdrive then Bootcamp assistant is never going to successfully install Windows via an ISO. It's in the Mac firmware that the Superdrive must be used.
    I haven't done it but this is the only thread I've seen where people claim to have a successful workaround.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...mac-osx-without-optical-drive-or-usb.1836959/

5. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Its a 2013 iMac they don't come with super drives/dvd drives on this model due to Apple deciding to slim the model down and cut out the superdrive. I'll take a look at the link thank you and see if i can some how work around it. It must be possible to do

Ah unfort looks like you have to buy some of the software listed in that link which i'm not in a financial position to do

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If it's not a MacBook you must be having some other issue.
    The post I linked was about people trying to install Windows after removing their optical drive.

7. mdoyle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for trying to help. I'm going to pop into town tomorrow and ask in the Apple store if they have any idea and may see about bring the iMac in and let them install bootcamp for me as i'm getting annoyed by it now. I'm at the gate but have no keys to open them

8. MysticCow, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

OH NO NO NO NO NO

Go get CrossOver. STO runs perfectly under it and uses the Win .exe files. I got it through a promo, and it works great.

I've also heard good stuff about PlayOnMac and it's free (CrossOver is not free).

Both use the WINE libraries to make it work. Outside of weird graphics issues with the first Romulan quests (the instanced part before you get your first ship), it is working beautifully. You don't need Windows unless you absolutely need it.

(please forgive the necro--it's just that Windows isn't needed to play it.)