noob needs handy light help.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by finnwegian, Sep 7, 2010.

1. finnwegian macrumors newbie

So i downloaded handy light when it was available awhile back. Id like to start using it. I have an iphone 4. Unjailbroken. I want to tether that to my ipad. I went to jailbrakeme.com last night (on ipad) and attempted to download nessessary stuff to allow tethering. I have tried to follow forum posts here on macrumors as well as watch videos on you tube. I dont know WHAT these people are trying to explain to me. Can anyone out there send me an elementary version of this process. All i want to do, is use my iphones 3g signal on my ipad. I dont want to download apps, programs, just casual surfing. Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

2. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

believe me ive tried. You lose me right in the begining... where am i supposed to use a textfile? socks.pac? dude i dont even know what miwi is. please help.

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Follow THIS. I was able to get it to work by doing what this site says.

I haven't used it since that first time because I use MyWi now, a much easier way.

4. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

so again right away i dont know what they are talking about. how do you set up an ad-hoc wifi account? can someone please make me a youtube video on how to tether the two devices.

5. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

Bumpady bump bump
    With all the people on this site nobody can take ten minutes out of there day and make a quick video for me? I'm sure more folks would find it usefull as well. Thanks guys.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

install mywi on the ipad and turn wifi tethering to ON its really not that hard.

and you create a textfile named socks.pac with the text i put in that thread. your making this way harder then it has to be.

7. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

create the file in either textedit on mac or notepad on windows. then upload it via the browser thru download pro lite

9. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

See the problem is you don't even have a basic understand about what your trying to accomplish. If we say create a text file and name it socks.pac and you respond with how do I create a text file well then you should ask someone you know to do this for you...or educate yourself on how to do it yourself or at least be able to comprehend instructions.

I know this sounds a bit harsh but it is a bit frustrating to try and walk someone through something they know nothing about

10. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

First off all I know i know nothing about the matter. I just know what i want as the end result. (to use my ipad via my iphones 3g signal). I dont know anybody who knows anything about this subject. That is why I created a macrumors account, to educate myself on the matter.
    I appreciate Crakd's responses, he has been helpful but you iuser4life have done nothing to assisst me in anyway.

11. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

This is where im stuck now...

3. on your computer goto the address listed for the webshare in Download Pro Light. Use the form to upload the "socks.pac" file you created.

12. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

I made it through the instructions in the forum but im still unable to tether. I may have messed something up around step 2. I opened textedit on the mac and copied and pasted the code. I saved the file as socks.pac. Is this correct. I opened safari and inputed the ip address to open the webshare program. when i transfer the file it transfers as socks.pac.rtf. I dont think thats right but im not sure.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

no you want to make sure its just socks.pac not .rtf. also if you have a windows machine it would benefit to make the text file on the windows machine and upload it cause for some reason I had issues making the text file on mac.

14. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

just tried it on my girlfriends windows 7 machine and it transfers as socks.pac.txt. so i dont know what else to do. its stupid. im ready to unjailbreak the ipad and pay the twenty dollars a month through at&t.

15. izibo macrumors 6502

It's sounds like that might be money well spent as this may not be your cup of tea.

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That will only work if you're talking about a 3G iPad and and its no contract data plan. If you're referring to AT&T's official tethering, the iPad cannot benefit from it without being jailbroken. The iPad cannot natively be tethered through USB or Bluetooth, and that's all a non jailbroken iPhone CAN do.

HandyLight is a less than ideal solution for this, as you've already figured out. Most of us JB the phone and use MyWi, which is a $10 (3G/S) or $20 (ip4) solution that turns your phone into a wireless router and is a lot less painful than what you're attempting. The rest JB both the phone and the iPad, and install iTether ($5) on the iPad and TetherMe ($2) on the iPhone. iTether allows the iPad to connect to the iPhone over Bluetooth. TetherMe enables native tethering on the phone with AT&T's assistance. You can also simply have AT&T do that, and pay their $20 per month fee--then you needn't JB the phone.

A search both of this forum and the iPad hacks forum will give you plenty of detail on these options. Either is way better than what you're attempting to do if you are having this much trouble already.

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

you have to enable it on windows so PAC is the extention and it doesnt add .txt to the file.

18. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

btw ive found the handylight way to be more reliable then tether me. the commcenter hack crashes the iphone for some reason.

19. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Given the trouble he has with what he's trying, manually doing the commcenter hack is way out of his league. Hell, it's way out of mine! :D

I'm using TetherMe on the phone without issues. iTether gets moody at times about finding the phone; yesterday after the update being the perfect example. Something about the integration with the new SBSettings toggle isn't right. Closed out BT and wireless, resprang, still wouldn't work. Tried it without the toggle, resprang again, again without the toggle, and then it was fine. The toggle just isn't working for me, and I have similar issues with the "tethering" toggle on the phone.

If I leave everything alone, and follow the same steps to connect each time, it works perfectly. If I try to shortcut or do steps out of order, it just fails to see the phone. The only time it ever dropped signal on me once connected, I just turned off wifi on the phone, and that was the end of it. I use it for maybe 30 MB a month at most, so it's not like I'm badly inconvenienced by it.

MyWi is probably the simplest solution for the OP as there've been fewer reported problems with it than the others, at least where connecting an iPad is concerned.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah I own mywi too I try to use it only when its absolutely necessary tho cause I dont like how it gets the phone so hot. As odd as it sounds I think handylight has safari on the ipad working the fastest.

21. finnwegian thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya I'm not even gonna try it. I just unjailbroke my iPad and I'm gonna pay the 25$ a month for 2 gigs. Sucks really. The only time I really use the thing is when I'm upstairs. My router is down stirs in the far corner of the house and wifi only covers about a 1/3 of it.