Noob Partition Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rlfletch, Feb 21, 2008.

1. rlfletch macrumors newbie

So I finally get my new pro put together with 2 1T hard drives and now need to partition these suckers up. I need a fair amount of Windows space for my Solidworks stuff but like being able to grab stuff from the Mac side when I'm using Strata. So can I do the 32GB FAT partition on the second Hard drive and do the rest of that drive as NTFS? Is this all done through bootcamp or through windows? Any help appreciated.

Also: Can I use old hard drives from my G5 Pro tower in my new tower?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If they're SATA II. I don't know if the G5s had SATA drives, but it's a fair bet.

3. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

The drives from your G5 are either SATA I or SATA II. Both will work fine in your new Mac Pro. I installed the two SATA I drives from my G5 into my MP 2008 (both Seagate -- a 7200.8 and a 7200.9) and have had no problems.

SATA I drives (1.5Gb) are slower than SATA II drives (3.0Gb), but they will work.

Before you use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows, I encourage you to read the BCA manual. When you start BCA it gives you the option to print the instructions. Do this and follow along while you perform your install. I found the manual extremely helpful the first time through the process, and it will answer all your questions.

4. MikeL macrumors 6502

Or just plain old SATA. There's no "SATA II" requirement of any kind at all.

5. rlfletch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the SATA info.

So no one has any info about the NTFS/FAT combo partition of a single drive?