Noob question about buying an unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheEpicFilmCo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. TheEpicFilmCo macrumors regular

Hello.
    Sorry for the noobie question, but I have never bought a mobile phone before and I do not know anything about them.
    I have seen an unlocked iPhone for sale and I am wondering what "unlocked" means exactly.
    Will I be able to pop in any sim card and then just use it on Pay As You Go?
    I am in the UK by the way if that makes any difference.

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

3. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. I emailed him and he said

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Buying so called 'unlcoked iPhones' is a little dodgy. I've heard of many people buying them, only to find their SIM not working. I'd only buy it if you 100% trust these people. You can always unlock an iPhone 3G for FREE on your own, permitting it isn't on the latest 2.2.1 firmware (2.2 is fine).

Funny thing you're on GumTree... because so am I atm :p

Looking for a cheap Mac to buy.

5. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

So, I can buy an iPhone on contract and then I can just unlock it? Won't that cause problems with the contract?

6. gooberq macrumors member

OP, can you post from whom you are planning to buy the 3G iPhone, 250 for 3G 16GB is a good deal, unless he is not a scammer.

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If there no PAYG option? :confused:

8. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Well yeah, but that's like £400.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that price is way too low. when they sell on ebay for 600.00 I doubt anyoen would sell one for that price when they can get far more.

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Would you keep on making your monthly payments as spelled out by the contract? If yes, then the fact that the phone happens to have been unlocked shouldn't present you with any severe contract issues.

Of course, in that case, there is less incentive to want to unlock the iPhone in the first place. (Still some reasons, though, for example if you take it with you on an international vacation.)

11. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

13. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Agreed its a scam.

After reading his message to you, it's certainly a scam. "Buy 4 get 1 free"?

And, "I need to sell them by the end of the month" = scam.

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First, Unlocked means that the iPhone 3G is not "locked" to a single phone carrier's SIM card. You can use any carrier's SIM. "Pay As You Go" options vary by carrier and may or may not include a data feature.

Second, there is no such thing as a 2 year international warranty from the Factory. Apple iPhone 3Gs are only warrantied in the country that they are configured for sale in! Apple even provides a web page that lists the part numbers of the valid device by country. Just check the table: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

See if the seller will provide you with the part number?

Dave

15. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

When things seem too good to be true, they usually are.

I would avoid this, unless you can get the phone in your hand and check it out before you pay for it (which seems unlikely :) )

We see regular threads on here from people saying "how was I supposed to know?" after paying out hundreds of pounds/dollars/etc. I hope you do not become one more. If you really want an iPhone, get it from O2.

16. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I have probably a stupid question.

If I currently have AT&T and want to get and iPhone (2G or 3G...whichever), but don't want to sign up for an iPhone data plan (I would only use WiFi for data at home or work), can I just get an unlocked phone and then AT&T won't care or hit me up for the data plan cost? Or is there anything else I would need to do? Essentially, I want to use it like a co-worker who has T-Mobile and uses a 2G iPhone, but I want to keep my AT&T phone service. Thanks!