Noob question about new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmkonrath, Nov 6, 2010.

1. rmkonrath macrumors newbie

Hey all this is my first post here.

I've been doing some research on this form for about the past week. I was a mac user about 10 years ago, switched to windows in college, due to having to "lease" a computer from my program. Which leads to my question.

The reason we had to lease windows was to run a scheduling program that only runs on windows.

This is the only program that I "need" or intend to use windows with. What would be your expert advice as to how I set up my Macbook Pro,2.66 ghz i7, to run this program.

Thanks for the help. I've enjoyed reading as many topics on here as possible already!

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

vmware/parrarel/bootcamp windows and then install it on that partition?

3. rmkonrath thread starter macrumors newbie

"vmware/parrarel/bootcamp windows and then install it on that partition?"

Sorry, what does that mean?

I've seen a lot of people say vmware and don't know what it means.

4. SpudGT macrumors member

I run VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro; I can then use Linux and Windows virtual machines as needed.

VMware is a virtualization program, it allows you to run guest operating systems (Linux, Windows, etc.) on your OS X host.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

It's one of two products allowing you to run Windows programs in a virtual machine under OSX. Click the links below.

VMWare Fusion for Mac
    Parallels Desktop for Mac

6. mulo, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Rather then paying loads to run just one app, why not use virtual box? - its free for personal use, runs almost any os, and did I mention, its free!
    http://www.virtualbox.org/

7. deeddawg, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010

deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks for pointing out a free alternative.

8. peoplevoice macrumors member

virtualBox

Yeah, it's free and I've been using it for an year without any problem. Thanks to virtualBox I'm able to use Windows XP and Mac OSX at the same time.
    With your i7 you mustn't have any performance problems. My MBP has 4 Gb of memory.

9. mulo, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

runs like a champ!
    I usually dedicate two threads and two GB RAM to it. Not that it will ever use it, I'm mostly messing around in Ubuntu 64bit.
    Another thing that I like about it is that it doesn't have to use the dedicated resources, so it doesn't automatically use two GB RAM if I dedicate that much to it, it just allows it to use that much, so your main os can still use those resources. Its the same with VRAM and Threads.

I have no idea if the other options are like that, they didn't use to be.

I do have a win 7 installation on it as well, need it to print at my school as they somehow managed to make that require some .net framework (doh)

10. Darrenyo macrumors member

Use bootcamp to install Windows XP, Vista or 7 on to a partition on your hard drive.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Which scheduling program is this, out of curiosity?

12. rmkonrath thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an aviation aircraft scheduler(along with MANY other features) for the University of North Dakota

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I had to run IE 6 for Windows for a while (very ironically it was to service Apple Store customer support when I was an at-home contract worker for Apple), and used Crossover, which worked well for me. I liked it in that I didn't have to dualboot and I didn't need to have Windows running alongside Mac OS X. It's not free, but it served me well, and they had academic discounts at the time I bought it.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ask your IT guys is they serve up that application via Citrix XenApp. Basically, the app sits on a server in the data center and runs on it's hardware. You fire up the client and it'll run in it's own little window without you having to run windows on your box.

It's incredibly amazing when done right , especially for all the Apple users in the house.

15. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

what are the system requirements for this program? you say it does MANY things so to me it sounds like these requirements might not be ideal for a virtual environment. especially so if it uses a lot of graphics. vms dont play so well with having full access to the gpu.

if the requirements are high, just go with bootcamp.

16. rmkonrath thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know the requirements. Because it's an in house program there isn't much published on it. I'm sure our IT guys might know more, I probably will consult with them and see what their recommendations will be.

I believe most of it is pulling information from a central server. It's not very image intensive.

We use it for things like pulling up student information/records, flight records, monitoring aircraft/instructor schedules, scheduling aircraft. I would say for my job its main use is for data/records collection and schedule monitoring.

I think I'm going to first try virtualbox option and see how that works. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Anybody use X-plane 9.xx on their MCP?

17. rmkonrath thread starter macrumors newbie

From the download site
    "AIMS (Aviation Information Management System) is a custom application suite used by the University of North Dakota's Aerospace program. The unique information management requirements of the UND pilot training program fostered the development of this software.

AIMS development is ongoing and enhancements are made as necessary.

AIMS provides a mechanism for Students, Instructors, Staff, and Management to view, update, and share Aviation information in a secure, structured, hierarchical environment.

Some examples of things which AIMS helps to manage are: Student Flight Records, Scheduling/Dispatch, Instructor Certifications, Invoice Accounting, Parts Inventory, and Aircraft Maintenance Inspections/Histories."