noob question about programmes on my MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bandofbrothers, Aug 30, 2011.

1. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

When I download a programme onto my MBA where do I go to see all the downloaded programmes just in case i want to delete it.

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Generally the guts of a program are self-contained within the application bundle, so you can delete that. They're the .app files. There are some configuration files that apps tend to store elsewhere, but generally they don't amount to much. Apple really needs to implement some sort of uninstall process so you can remove those files incase they DO amount to a bit, sometimes more than the app itself. You can uninstall things from the Mac App Store however by going into Launchpad, holding the app down, and clicking the little "x". This only works on apps downloaded from the store.

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

You can also use a tool like AppZapper to remove all traces of the app. In my experience they do quite well.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Check the Downloads folder. That's where a lot of the DMG files are saved. Once you install the program by opening the DMG and dragging the icon to the Application folder, you can delete the downloaded file. Note that this is different from "ejecting" the DMG file, though both involve dragging something to the Trash.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software like AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You would think someone would have developed an app that does what the manual process does? :confused: