noob question about re-sizing windows in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BrianMR, Jun 9, 2007.

1. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

I had a problem earlier today where I somehow sized up the window on an app (Second Life) to the point where the lower-right corner was below the edge of the screen. I couldn't get to the resize control to make the window smaller again. Clicking the green plus button in the upper-left did nothing. I couldn't move the top of the window any higher either.

Note, I put the dock-bar on the left and auto-hide it, so that wasn't part of the equation.

In Windows I can resize a window from multiple corners, so you can get yourself out of these dead-ends.

The only way I could figure out of this was to go into System Prefs and change the screen to 1024x768 then back again to normal 1440x900. There has got to be a better way! :)

Appreciate the help!

- "Switcher" :apple:

2. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

That's weird. I've never had that happen before, but if you tried the zoom button (green) and all the other stuff you tried, I couldn't really give you a suggestion. I think the problem is that Second Life is a game, right? And there isn't too much attention paid to that type of thing in a game.

3. banjomamo macrumors regular

i believe that you can resize the window to really any height and width which is why t can run off the screen. ive done this a few times and indeed it can be frustrating. usually selecting the green maximize button will fix it but some apps just seem to be stubborn.

one thing you may want to take note of as a switcher. the macs UI is not meant to have full screen windows. they have always been something more like a tiled window UI since its more productive to have more than one window open at a time.