Noob question: Do I need a Virus Scanner?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SSpiro, Apr 6, 2007.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

New to Mac's with my first MBP..

Do I need to get a virus scanner and/or spyware scanner? Do they even exist?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yes, they do exist, but this is always a tough question to answer.

The short answer is that currently there aren't very many (any?) OS X viruses in the wild that you need to be concerned with. There's even less spyware, to my knowledge. So, right now, you can get away without running anything, however, if it's worth the peace of mind, I'd recommend clamXav for your anti-virus.

What you should do instead is practice safe browsing habits, turn off "Open Safe Files After Downloading" (in the Safari preferences), and just be generally aware of what's going on in your computer.

You'll be fine - and trust me, when a Mac virus hits, you won't be able to go ANYWHERE without hearing about it.

3. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I don't have a mac yet, but this is one of the three reasons I'm getting one after WWDC. I don't plan to run any virus protection on it BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO!! :D :D :D I think it will feel like that dream where you go to school naked... you're exposed but you don't care

I didn't know spywear wasn't an issue, that's excellent news as well.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

You probably don't need a scanner but update your computer with security updates and you'll be fine. There is not that much worries about viruses in Mac OS X.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I wouldn't say you need one, I've been doing just fine without one. But then, I'm normally fine without one in Windows as well (Or at least AVG never ever complains about anything). I'm just careful..

6. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Mac OS X also has a built in firewall. It is under System Prefs>Sharing> Firewall. You can configure it and turn it on or off. I keep mine off most of the time because there is simply no need.

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I've been downloading and installing whatever I want without any problems at all. I don't even think about it, really. There are no Mac OS X viruses 'in the wild', so I don't worry.