[Noob Question] Does the iPhone need to be activated everytime the sim card is switch

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ryguy2303, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

I was wondering if the iPhone needs to be activated everytime the sim card is switch?
    I am selling my 3G and buying a 3GS at the same time (off craigslist) and am wondering if once I take out my sim card from my 3G, if anything is associated with my account or anything personal.

Thanks for the help guys

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

No, it should only need to be activated once restored. If you plan on selling it, do this:

1) restore the iphone
    2) settings -> general -> reset -> erase all content and settings

3. ryguy2303 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

I did that. But I am wondering about if I activate with my simcard, and then the buyer puts theirs in that it will still be associated with my account.

4. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Nope. Even if you just took the SIM card and handed the phone to someone else (without clearing), it still wouldn't be associated to your account (phone account that is). The only account it would be associated with (without restore) would be your iTunes account. Even then, it would still require a password.

5. ryguy2303 thread starter macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

Alright, super. Thank you for the quick help. I really appreciate it.

6. Kyeris macrumors 6502

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Many people find that "erase all content and settings " is the equivalent of "format c:"

In other words, it wipes your phone of everything including the operating system. If you do it and then turn the phone on, all you'll get is the spinning wheel of death.

As with your PC, you can recover from this by re-installing the OS, but it's a pain in the ass.

Just so you know.

8. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it also rewrites everything with 0's (or something like that) and THEN erases it to make it unrecoverable.

9. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

No, it doesn't.