Noob Question - File Sharing

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I have a Mac Book and a PC both connected to the same router wirelessly. Now, how do I enable file sharing between the two?

In the PC, I've enabled the "sharing" options for one folder and have given read/write privileges to "everyone." How do I go into this folder from my Mac Book? I try pressing "Connect to Server" and then "browse" but no results show up. Am I doing something wrong?

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
OK, so I'm trying a new method. Instead of "browse" I'm trying to connect directly via SMB.

So, I press "Connect to server" then I enter "smb\\10.0.0.2" (that's the ip of the pc that I'm trying to connect to).

Now it asks whether I want to connect as: Guest or Registered User

If I select Guest, it says "The server 10.0.0.2 does not allow Guest access"
How am I supposed to allow Guest access?

If I select Registered User, it asks me to enter a user name and password.
Where do I find this user name and password?

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could answer either one of the two questions marked in bold. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If I select Guest, it says "The server 10.0.0.2 does not allow Guest access"
How am I supposed to allow Guest access?
Since you didn't mention, which Windows version you use (if "PC" is short for Windows): "windows enable guest"

If I select Registered User, it asks me to enter a user name and password.
Where do I find this user name and password?
You enter the name of the admin or other account on that Windows machine and the password of that account.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
Since you didn't mention, which Windows version you use (if "PC" is short for Windows): "windows enable guest"

You enter the name of the admin or other account on that Windows machine and the password of that account.

Thanks very much for your response, but I'm still unable to get it to work!

RE: Guest
I'm using Windows 7 on the PC. I followed the instructions to enable guest on that PC but when I try to connect from my Mac I still get the same error message - the server "10.0.0.2" does not allow guest access.

RE: Registered User
So, the PC has two users. One is guest (which I just enabled) and the other is the administrator (username: Alex Reissig). But the administrator user does not have a password. When I try to connect from my mac and enter the username (leaving the password field blank) I get an error message saying invalid user name or password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.