iPad mini Noob question: how to exit an app on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by srkmish, May 30, 2013.

1. srkmish macrumors regular

srkmish

I am used to back button and then the app prompts me to quit on android. But on ipad, I directly use the home button while playing games. What is the proper way to exit an game. If I just use home button to return to homepage, then does the app still run in background and eat battery like android?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

After you return to the home screen, double tap the the home button and your multi-tasking menu appears. Then choose the app and tap and hold until it wiggles and then press the x to end it.

3. Gav2k, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

iOS is nothing like android lol most games on quit suspend and you can resume by relaunching. If its left a while it will quit. Neither consume battery power.

You don't need to use the home button you can five finger pinch if guestures are enabled

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Five finger death punch! \m/:mad:\m/

In order for an app not to suspend when you hit the home button, it has to do one of a few things; either play music (Pandora, Rdio, Spotify, Amazon Cloud Player), use GPS (Navigon, Google Maps), or request extra time to close down cleanly.

If an app doesn't use any of the special multitasking APIs to enable the above features, it gets suspended in RAM the second you hit the button or use the gesture.

[Edit]
    Apple even includes comments in AppDelegate.m specifically pointing out to developers which method to use to suspend their game so they know where to save state before being backgrounded.

5. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

First either press the home button or use a five finger inward pinch to go to the home screen then either double press the home button or swipe up from the bottom of the screen with five fingers. Now you will see a line of apps hold your finger down on anyone until they start shaking, then press the little red minus symbol on the ones you want to quit.