noob question : i'm planning to upgrade my hard disk

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PAUL BRIAN, May 28, 2008.

1. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

its a 2 Ghz / 2 GB core duo macbook white that came with 100 GB stock. i now need more space for samples and virtual instruments, using it as a dedicated mobile music workstation. i'm currently looking at this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/SEAGATE OWC/ST9200420ASG/

now, when i do get the new HD how do i get EVERYTHING on my old HD over to the new one? is it as simple as drag and drop? i have a 500 GB external HD so i can use that as a medium between the two but how would i go about it? thanks alot

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I would use the migrate tool - it should take everything you have (of course a prudent step is to make a complete backup onto the external also) - but as youll still physically have the old disk: if it goes wrong you can put it back in and start over

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

SuperDuper is a great tool for this...

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

It will allow you to make a working clone of your drive and then write it onto the other drive. It does allow you to clone onto the new larger drive, also, so basically the new drive will become "just like the old drive, but with more space."

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Yep I concure wholeheartedly - I forgot about SuperDuper - thats just the ticket young padawan

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Another vote for SuperDuper!. I just installed a 250GB WD Passport drive into my Macbook and that is what I did. Painless and it worked flawlessly. Now I have a 250GB internal and 120GB external for only about $80 total cost (I just put the original 120GB into the Passport case).

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Thanks from me as well, these forums simply ROCK! Everyone is "fan-TASTIC!";):apple::apple: