Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
Original poster
May 22, 2009
D.C.
My friend has a rogers phone and she wants to use it in the US now, she upgraded to iOS.

Is there any method, at all, to unlock it? If not, how long does an unlock typically take?

----------

Ios 5

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
My friend has a rogers phone and she wants to use it in the US now, she upgraded to iOS.

Is there any method, at all, to unlock it? If not, how long does an unlock typically take?

----------

Ios 5

call Rogers and see if they can unlock this phone for you friend. Otherwise, he/she won't be able to use it in the US. Currently there is no software unlock nor Gevey sum work on baseband on OS5. No one know when the unlock is come out.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This Topic Comes Up So Often

And it really annoy's me how back home you guy's are SO locked down. I'm coming home (NYC) in the new year, and I know none of my phones will work.

People say Verizon are the best? What do I know. I dislike being tied down, guess we pay more here in the UK but If I get Annoyed by my carrier, I ditch, change sim, that's it.

This needs to change...The LAnd Of The Free?

Would seem not so.

I know I can sell my phones here and make money / break even. But I'll be landing @ JFK without one.

Thank God my MBA, MBP, iMac will be okay. Verizon? At&T Tmobile......I don't want to be tied down. GRRRRR:mad:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

----------

Ios 5

No, there's nothing that can unlock an i4 on 5.0
Only option will be to contact her carrier to see if they officially unlock it.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
And it really annoy's me how back home you guy's are SO locked down. I'm coming home (NYC) in the new year, and I know none of my phones will work.

People say Verizon are the best? What do I know. I dislike being tied down, guess we pay more here in the UK but If I get Annoyed by my carrier, I ditch, change sim, that's it.

This needs to change...The LAnd Of The Free?

Would seem not so.

I know I can sell my phones here and make money / break even. But I'll be landing @ JFK without one.

Thank God my MBA, MBP, iMac will be okay. Verizon? At&T Tmobile......I don't want to be tied down. GRRRRR:mad:

As far as I can tell, it's two different business models when it comes to cancelling a contract half-way through:

UK: Cancel anytime you want, but you have to pay out to the end of the contract (e.g. 8 months left, £35 per month, you have to pay £280 to cancel the contract) - upside of this: carrier doesn't care if the phone is locked or unlocked, they'll get their contractually agreed money either way.

US: Cancel anytime you want and pay a fixed (?) early termination fee, which is much lower than having to pay out till the end of the contract. In this case, the carrier does care about having the phone locked to their network, as they might otherwise lose out.

I prefer the way it's done in the UK by a long way, but for someone who might not be able to plan 12-18 months ahead, the US model might be more attractive as it offers a cheaper way out.

I still think all phones should be unlocked once they are fully paid for, i.e. at the end of the contract they were bought on - everything else makes very little sense.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Actually Macman45 we now have the option to by factory unlocked iPhones both the I4 and 4S from Apple . I do feel that once the contract is complete the carrier should unlock it. buying a device from any carrier will pretty much lock it to that carrier. Verizio though you could use it unlocked in the UK.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
...I dislike being tied down, guess we pay more here in the UK but If I get Annoyed by my carrier, I ditch, change sim, that's it...

If you can change your sim and use your phone on another carrier, then your phone is unlocked and you should have no problem using it on AT&T's GSM network. Welcome to the US. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.