Noob Question on OS X Raid software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jetfire, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Jetfire macrumors 6502

I asked this yesterday before the forum went down, and don't see it anymore. Sorry if this turns into a repost.

I'm trying to decide between a Drobo 5D and a Lacie 5Big Enclosure. I can get the 20GB version of both for close to the same price. Lacie seems to be faster than the Drobo. Drobo has it's own Raid hardware/software while the Lacie I would be using the Mac OS Drive utility to do raid.

My question is happens if my MacBook Pro fails or I get a new one. Do I have to restore from back-up if I move the Lacie to a new machine? Can one Mac see/use a Raid built on another? If I understand the Drobo correctly I can just move it to a new machine (minus Murphy).

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would not get Lacie product in 10.9. Their software erases data in 10.9. I would go with a external NAS with an External iTunes server like the Snology DS413j.

3. Jetfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Not looking for a NAS, I'm picking a Thunderbolt enclosure. I'm also would be using the OS-based RAID, that's provided by Apple’s Disk Utility. I'm trying to find out the Cons of using Apple's Disk Utility Raid. Such as is the Raid I make on one machine tied to that machine or can I move it to another Machine with out having to restore from back-up.

Synology will be someone I'm looking at when I get to picking out a NAS.

4. joeatmapphoto macrumors newbie