Noob question regarding data on unlocked iphone

neilshane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I have a question and I can't find a definitive answer on the internet.

I have a dumbphone on ATT. I do not have a data plan.

If I was to purchase a used jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3gs or 4 could I use my ATT SIM card in it without a data plan? In other words, if an iphone is jailbroken and unlocked can you use it without a data plan or will ATT find out through the IMEI and force a data plan on you?

Any help is appreciated!

Neil

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Yes, they do, it's just a matter of time, but a search on here will bring up various posts where it's happened.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
In other words, if an iphone is jailbroken and unlocked can you use it without a data plan or will ATT find out through the IMEI and force a data plan on you?

Any help is appreciated!

Neil
No. It doesnt matter if the phone is JB or unlocked.
If you're on postpaid monthly plan they will detect you're using an iphone without the mandatory data plan and they will send you a text letting you know that they added it to your account.
No way around it unless you go with prepaid AT&T gophone sims.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I previously had a Sony phone and then I bought iPhone 3GS from AT&T for the full price without adding data plan, so I connect to the internet only using wifi and they never forced me to add a data plan. Although, they did detect that I switched the phone because previously when I logged in to my AT&T account under My Device it used to show a picture of the Sony phone and after about 3-4 months it was automatically showing iPhone pic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.