Noob question regarding data on unlocked iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by neilshane, Jan 10, 2012.

1. neilshane macrumors newbie

I have a question and I can't find a definitive answer on the internet.

I have a dumbphone on ATT. I do not have a data plan.

If I was to purchase a used jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3gs or 4 could I use my ATT SIM card in it without a data plan? In other words, if an iphone is jailbroken and unlocked can you use it without a data plan or will ATT find out through the IMEI and force a data plan on you?

Any help is appreciated!

Neil

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, they do, it's just a matter of time, but a search on here will bring up various posts where it's happened.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No. It doesnt matter if the phone is JB or unlocked.
    If you're on postpaid monthly plan they will detect you're using an iphone without the mandatory data plan and they will send you a text letting you know that they added it to your account.
    No way around it unless you go with prepaid AT&T gophone sims.

4. neilshane thread starter macrumors newbie

5. gaanee macrumors 6502a

I previously had a Sony phone and then I bought iPhone 3GS from AT&T for the full price without adding data plan, so I connect to the internet only using wifi and they never forced me to add a data plan. Although, they did detect that I switched the phone because previously when I logged in to my AT&T account under My Device it used to show a picture of the Sony phone and after about 3-4 months it was automatically showing iPhone pic.