Noob Question, Transferring Content

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wr1020, Jun 13, 2010.

1. wr1020 macrumors regular

Hey guys bear with me as theres an influx of noob questions i'm adding to the fire. I have a 3gs right now and i'll be upgrading to the 4. I wanted to know when i activate it via itunes when i get it does all my apps, contacts, etc sync to the 4 as soon as i plug it in or is there something special i have to do. And once i do sync everything to the 4 what happens with my old 3gs as far as all my contact info apps installed, email addresses saved etc.

Reason i ask is cause i'm selling my 3gs to a friend and i wanna make sure all the apps i bought and have is transferred to the iphone4 and my old 3gs is wiped clean.

2. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

It will probably ask if you want to restore your new phone from your most recent 3GS backup. You'll say yes, and it will set it up your new iPhone like your 3GS.

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

When you plug in the new phone, just follow the prompts in iTunes. It will walk you through it.

All of the stuff on your current 3GS and can be transferred to the new phone via iTunes. Just make sure to use the iTunes account that you signed into your 3GS with, and all of your apps will transfer.

As far as the 3GS, just plug it in and hit the restore button, it will clear the phone.

4. TheBearman macrumors 6502

So not to hijack this thread but....

Would it be better to upgrade the 3G/3GS to iOS 4 first and ensure you have a backup at that level or doesn't it matter.