Noob question, Treo 650 to iPhone - how to move contacts over?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STC, May 16, 2008.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

I am getting my iPhone today. After a few days of reading on various forums and hack pages I feel pretty confident on what I need to do. Now w/ all the jailbreaking, hacking, etc i forgot one of the most important things............how to import my contacts to the new phone?

Currently I have a Treo 650 and I sync all my contacts w/ Palm Desktop. (I dont use Outlook). I also have all my contacts on my Sim. I read that contacts isnt stored on the iPhone, so how can I import my contacts from the Treo desktop to itunes then sync it w/ the iPhone. I'm on XP btw.

Thx!

2. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Very easy to do if you had what you said you didn't have. OUTLOOK

If you have outlook, just sync you Treo but change it to sync with outlook instead of palm desktop...i never used desktop when i had my treo.

The next step is to insure the contacts list is now under the right calender/contact name to sync with iPhone.

If you don't have Outlook then how are you going to sync iPhone to your contacts which needs outlook, unless you are on a Mac which you did not state.

Tell us what yo uare sync your iPhone to now? Are you using Mac or PC? Then we may be able to better answer your question.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

if you unlock your iPhone via JAILBREAK there is a jailbreak app available via installer which copies all sim contacts to iPhone.. sorry cant think of name. will post if i find again.

4. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didnt get the iPhone yet, DHL will be delivering it today. I'l install Outlook then. Where is that option to sync the Treo contents to outlook at? I cant find it.

I know what you're talking about. I saw it right after I wrote this thread.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Straight from Mac Address Book Help:

Importing contacts
    Address Book can import contact information that you save or export from other applications in vCard, LDIF, tab-delimited, and comma-separated (CSV) formats.

You can export addresses in LDIF format from Netscape, and vCards from Palm Desktop, Entourage, Outlook, and others. You can export text files in tab-delimited or CSV format from most databases.

To import addresses from other applications:

Export addresses from the other application in vCard, LDIF, tab-delimited, or comma-separated (CSV) format.

When exporting tab-delimited or CSV files, you may want to note the order of the information fields. If the file doesn’t contain labels, you can refer to your notes to manually identify the fields in a later step.

When exporting from Palm Desktop, use the default column layout.

If the application you’re exporting from supports it, export vCards that include multiple contacts to speed up importing. For example, in Outlook select all of your contacts and choose to forward them as vCards. Send the email message, which includes a vCard attachment for each selected contact, to yourself on your Mac computer. In Mail, save the vCard attachments, and then use Address Book to import them.

Verify exported .txt or CSV files using a text editing application such as TextEdit.

Make sure there are no line breaks within a contact’s information, which can cause the import to fail. Remove any line breaks you find.

Make sure that fields in a .txt or tab-delimited file are separated by a tab, and fields in a CSV file are separated by a comma, instead of by quotes or another character. Do not include spaces before or after tabs and commas.

Make sure all addresses have the same number of fields; add empty fields, if necessary.

In Address Book, choose File > Import, and then choose the format of the exported file. Choose “Text File” for a tab-delimited or CSV file.

Select the file that contains the exported addresses and click Open.

If you are importing a text file, use the pop-up menus in the Text File Import dialog to specify how to import the data.

If the first record contains labels instead of contact information, select the “Ignore first card” checkbox.

Use the left and right arrows to see different records in the file you’re importing, to help you determine how to set the pop-up menus.

If you don’t want to import a field, set the pop-up menu to “Do not import.”

To set the pop-up menus for address fields, choose the type of address (home, work, or other) in the pop-up menu next to the first item of the address. Then use the address pop-up menus that appear to choose the corresponding data for each address field.