noob question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GunZi, Nov 6, 2012.

1. GunZi macrumors 6502

when i get my first mac, which is the newest imac.

it has 1TB HDD 5200rpm? i think :confused:

but i want to switch to Solid state drive, cause im using one on my computer right now and i dont want it to feel slow.

can i change the hard drive on the new imac? 21" model :confused:

i really hope i can change, but i dont know if i can open that computer's back.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If it's like any previous iMac, it will be possible but tedious for you to change the drive yourself. The fact that it's more Air-like leads me to believe that it would likely be a very difficult operation with this newest design.

Why not upgrade to an SSD or Fusion drive?

3. GunZi thread starter macrumors 6502

i want to upgrade it to SSD, but i was just asking if its possible.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

There is a website called iFixit, highly regarded, that has guides on how to take apart your iMac. It's free to use the guides, and they can sell you the tools and maybe even the parts. Check out the guide for your model of iMac, and see if you feel up to the job.

Here is the link to the iMac section. You'll have to find the appropriate guide for your model.

Good Luck.

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Since the iMacs aren't out yet no one knows exactly what the options will be. Likely an SSD will be available as a BTO option (or at least the fusion drive) but putting one in yourself might be a lot harder than it used to be.

Depending what you need the iMac for you might be better off seeing if an SSD iMac is available in the refurb section.

6. GunZi thread starter macrumors 6502