noob question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Perfected, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Perfected macrumors newbie

ok guys, after some time deciding i am going to get a touch, i wanted to know what is all the fuss about with wanting to jailbreak it. i wanted to know what apps you can download and stuff like that. this "jailbreaking and hacking" seems like physics so if someone can please shed some light on how to make it easy or exactly what i can do/need to do i'd really appreciate it. thx

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

There are various methods, I downloaded an app named "iJailbreak" (but I am using a mac, not sure what you're using), and other than that, I'm not sure what other methods are good. I think heading to http://jailbreakme.com/ works, but I'm not sure.

The jailbreak allows you to install games, Notes, Text Edit, Maps, Mail, etc, as well as let you customize the theme layout.

3. Perfected thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thx for telling me what jailbreking does, and i am using a pc. i herd that you would have to downgrade to 1.1.1 to jailbreak? would you go back to 1.1.2 when its all said and done?

4. Football1maniac macrumors regular

Football1maniac

Jailbreaking is recommended for all of those "inconveniences" that Apple watered down with from the iPhone to the iPod touch.:apple:

5. toonz diggler macrumors member

thanks for answering also, what mail service does it allow you to read?

6. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Pretty much all but Yahoo. Just a hint of advice though: make sure you know exactly how to jailbreak, what "SFTP client" and "SSH" mean, and how to restore if necessary. About 90% of the questions on this site are about the last two parts.

7. NitenDoraku5 macrumors newbie

NitenDoraku5

@vigilante

I agree, the problem I'm having is trying to find the information about SSH and etc... I got my IPT and am really interested in changing the themes. Just really trying to learn the inside outs before I begin.

8. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Yep, I don't blame you. Most of the hassle is just familiarizing you with your program (mostly WinSCP for Windows and the Duck one for Macs), once you get that you'll know it like the back of your hand. I just recommend keeping a cheat-sheet, something that just lists the locations of files. In notes, I just typed a few docs that said:

GBA_BIOs in: Applications/gpSPhone.app
    N45AP.plist in: System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    PDF Files in: var/root/Media/PDF
    Take Screenshot: /Applications/screenshot
    Delete Tracks on TTR: private/var/root/Media/TTR/music
    Customize: var/root/Library/Customize
    SummerBoard: var/root/Library/Customize/Themes

9. Perfected thread starter macrumors newbie

so when jailbreaking do i need to worry about the ssh and crap. i was under the impression that there is an easy way to do it.

10. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

For the actual jailbreak process: No, not anymore. But if you want to ever add in things that are not on installer, including game ROMs and self made themes, the answer is yes.