Noob questions about Time Machine/back-ups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gorby, Aug 18, 2010.

1. gorby macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I've just upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard-- I have a 1TB external for backups (OWC Mercury pro)

1. I made a clone of my Tiger stuff before I upgraded, and now that the stuff seems to have migrated successfully back in SL, is it cool to delete it? I think I should clear this away (or not?) before doing anything with Time Machine.

2. Do you suggest making partitions in this external HD? The 1TB should be plenty of space considering my internal is only 250GB.

3. Am I supposed to just leave the external drive on essentially 24/7? (there's an on/off switch in the back) :confused:

4. Is there a setting to make TM back-up less often? I think it's like every hour, but I think every day would be sufficient?

2. UpQuark macrumors member

UpQuark

I would leave the partition alone on the 1TB drive and let TM do it's thing. Secondly, you can use TimeMachineEditor (free - google it) to modify your TM schedule.

I would hang on to the Tiger data for 30 days. Set a iCal alarm to remind you. If you don't need it at that time, delete and move on.

Good luck! Welcome to SN!