Noob questions on using VMWare

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dexter v House, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Dexter v House macrumors member

[Sorry, just realized maybe wrong thread :eek:]

Apologies if it's been discussed before. I have spent a couple hours searching and reading but haven't figured it out yet. I am about to receive a new MBP and intend to use VMWare, so I want to get this right.

I want to use VM Converter to convert an existing Vista set up from my PC. But the app I want to use most is installed on a different partition to the Windows (C:\) partition, but on the same internal HD. ie The app (and its data) are on F:\ which is a partition on the same HD that C: is on.

Qn is, will VM Converter allow me to convert both C: and F: into the VM ?
    I'm trying to avoid re-installing the particular app onto my PC's C: drive.

Also - and this is a really noob qn I'm not too proud of asking - once using VMWare, can I install/uninstall new windows apps onto the VM whilst running in VMWare ?

Last stupid qn. Will Windows system and App updates still run as they do on a real PC? eg I use Eset AV which updates its virus signature db atleast twice a day.

Thanks for any answers!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

It should give you the options to bring over all partitions. If Vista on the new machine doesn't assign F: to the partition that was F: on the old machine, you can use the Disk Manager thing within Windows and manually set it.

If you use the VM Converter, Vista in Fusion should work just like Vista on the old physical machine. You can add/remove programs, just like you normally word, and programs with schedules should continue to work as normal.

3. Dexter v House thread starter macrumors member

Thanks aristobrat. Sounds like it will do everything I want.
    Pretty amazing s/w if you ask me. Both from a technical view point AND from a convenience one too! :D
    (Including Parallels, etc... :apple::apple::apple:)