Noob seeking expert advice: Earphones...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Joetang, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Joetang macrumors member

Just hear me out before you start telling me to use the search.

I just bought an iPod Touch 2G and after getting a case, (rebeltouch which I'm still waiting for) i need new earphones. The Problem is, I don't know which ones to get. I don't want to spend over $150 give-or-take cause I'm not an audiophile but i want clearer sharper music. I've did some lurking around other threads and came up with a few ideas but i'm still not sure which ones would be best for me. I don't want anything too Bass-y but nothing that lacks bass, comfortable, symmetric Y cables, and a clear, sharp sound. Which Pairs would you recommend?

I have a few from researching other threads and consolidated my options down to 5

V-Moda Vibe Earbuds
    Sennheiser cx300-B
    Etymotics Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones
    Ultimate Ear Metro.fi2 OR Super.fi3
    Shure XXXXX (not sure which ones are best)

Can anyone help me out?

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I recommend UE Super .fi5 Pro. You can find them for under $150.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Use the search. :p

Nah I am kidding. I think the biggest problem here is that you have 5 choices that are so varied in quality and price that it's tough to decide. I guess if it were me and having used the V-Modas (still use) and the Sennheiser cx300-Bs, I would step outside and go with anything from Shure. I understand they make some of the best monitors.

4. Joetang thread starter macrumors member

well i'm not sure how varied they are but those are the most popular ones i found on the forum. How do you like your V-Modas? i personally think they look the best but i know it's not all about looks lol

5. Joetang thread starter macrumors member

i'm sure there are more people out there with opinion and knowledge about this, come give me a hand people

6. Joetang thread starter macrumors member

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Yeah, UE Super .fi 5 Pro

8. Joetang thread starter macrumors member

i can't find a cheap pair though, they're all 200+ :mad:

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Here

$170, no tax

10. David G. macrumors 65816

I personally think the Etymotics are great, though I must say I have never used any of the others.

11. Joetang thread starter macrumors member

i've heard a lot about etymotics and i know it's silly but they're not as "cool" looking =X

and i wanted black ones, the clear looks...tacky.. =X

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

UEs (IMHO) are more comfortable the the Etys. I did really like the Etys but, the three flanged tips really turned me off.

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Well, how much of a price are you going to put on "cool"?

Do you want great IEM's or cool looking ones? V-moda look cool but sound terrible. Also, research what musicians use.

14. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Also, if you want cheap and good, get Grado cans. You can not beat them for the cost.

15. David G. macrumors 65816

I won't disagree because obviously i've never used them( the ue's) but I found my Etymotics to be more than comfortable enough after they softened up and I got used to them. That shouldn't take very long.

16. Joetang thread starter macrumors member

well ofcourse i wouldn't put looks over quality and comfort but i do consider it a factor. And what do you mean the v-moda sounds terrible?! those were the ones i was leaning towards the most... Boo...

17. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I will not disagree with your opinion, but, I owned the ER 6i's for over a year. I loved the sound but, they were always uncomfortable. In the end I was strictly using the foam tip but, they would rip easily. So, I sold them and bought the UE Super .fi 5 Pros. I use them frequently now and love them. I find them very comfortable. The bass is a little bit heavy for me but, the mids and highs are true. They are my favorite portable phone. Although I have to say, my favorite phones are my Grados.

18. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

IMHO of all the phones you listed, the V-moda and 300's are the worst. They are very muddy, at least to me.

19. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I would add the Westone UM-1's to that list (~$100). You won't regret it.

20. sfs macrumors member

Westone is what my churches use for IEMs, and all the musicians love them (except for the ones who can't stand any earbuds whatsoever). They're also cheap.

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

FutureSonic atrio m5! The best in-ear monitor for the price. Rivals the most expensive Shure and Etymotic IEMs for a fraction of the price. I've had them for over a year and I wouldn't trade them for the world.