Noob seeking help in choosing MacBook vs mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jetblk328i, Apr 20, 2010.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I am a student soon to enter college and I need a new laptop. I think a decent mac would do a good job of lasting me the 4years.

Basically I'll be using it for: internet, word processesing, email, video streaming, and some very light gaming.

I don't want to spend more money than I need to.

I like the aluminum, keyboard, and extra battery life the pro has to offer but I wonder if the actual internals of the pro are worth the extra 200 dollars. I do mind the look of the ub MacBook.

So, what do you think? Are the performance upgrades the pro has over the ub white worth it in my case?

I am also interested in increasing ram to 4 gb. Needed?
    Thanks in advance!

2. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Get the base line MBP.Better body,more durable.Better processor,for what you want to do with it the base line 13" MBP will do you just fine.I like MBP's,I would get one if I was you.I have the UB MB.13" MBP is way better in every way.And also the MBP had FW 800.

3. BarnacleGrim macrumors newbie

I'm not familiar with the newest MacBooks, but I regret getting the late 2006 MacBook instead of the MacBook Pro because of the much better speakers and the anti-glare coating. Durability is also an issue, a chip as come loose in the top case, you won't see that with aluminium. On the other hand, it has lasted me 4 years already, and I don't see why it wouldn't last me 4 more years. My 6 year old G5 isn't anywhere near retirement either.

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

First of all, the new MBPs come with 4gb. So by the time you bought a MB and paid for more RAM, you are pretty close to the MBP price anyway. Faster processor, better video card, and backlit keyboard are more the couple hundred bucks IMO.

5. jetblk328i thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya the price would be very similar if i went with the 4gb ram upgrade. I'm not totally sure I need it though for my usage.

6. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Trust me, another 2GB makes the machine a lot more peppy and enjoyable to use. Even if you aren't really NEEDING the extra memory, you will notice and be be glad you did it.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Go with the pro. You get better battery life, more ram, and maybe slightly better performance for $200 bucks more. The pro can technically run 64 bit snow leopard. Maybe 3 or 4 years now this will be useful.

The macbook isn't bad, but will definitely need a ram upgrade in a few years or even now.