Noob thread (New to Mac)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Salukipilot4590, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Hey guys!

Hokay, so, I'm finally giving up with windows and more specifically this Dell Inspiron 17 (POS) I've been dragging around. I've been playing around with my girlfriend's MBP 13 and I've got to say...I love it. (Full disclosure: I've been a Windows man/Mac hater up until this point)

All that aside I think I've made my mind up...15" baseline model for me! Now here's the one question I have. I'm about to take a trip to Portland OR in the coming weeks and I'm wondering if I just waltz into an Apple store will they have one available?

What would be your best course of action?

(Keep in mind that Oregon lacks that nice sales tax California does....really awesome that I happen to have a business trip coming up in a couple weeks!)

Thanks for the help!

2. lesyork macrumors member

They should always have the baseline models in stock at most stores.

3. Salukipilot4590 thread starter macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Good deal, I figured it would be MUCH harder to find if I wanted something custom.

Whoa!

I was looking for that page! Thanks man!

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I think you'll love your base 15". Mine is really great. If you can splurge for the SSD you'll really love it but its a bit pricer.

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Yes, they will have them in stock - no problem! Enjoy the new computer. You'll be a Mac Lover/Windows Basher in no time ;) :D

7. Salukipilot4590 thread starter macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I definitely feel you there but the cost of those damn things is still a bit steep for a kid like me.

As soon as the price comes down you KNOW I'll be SSDing mine up.

For all the crap I talked all these years...I know I'm going to have to keep it a secret from my friends and more importantly my parents.

Just so I don't lose ALL credibility I'll have to bootcamp Win 7 for a couple of programs that arent mac compatible.

This is awesome.

8. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Just to throw out another option for you as far as running Windows - you can install Parallels which allows you to open the OS in a window rather than having to restart the computer and boot into Windows. I much prefer Parallels to Bootcamp.

9. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Agreed. But, my all time favorite solution is to install Bootcamp and then have Parallels virtualize it. That is the best of both worlds.

10. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Same boat you are in making the switch 3yrs ago. Mac hater and all. Enjoy your Mac.

11. th3goob macrumors regular

i was the biggest mac hater i knew... then i bought my MBP and now i cant stand windows =/

12. fattire357 macrumors regular

You might not need that 15". Mac's do a better job handling screen space than Windows 7.

I'm just telling you because I had a large screen Dell laptop (15") that I couldn't imagine going smaller with, picked up the 13" Macbook Pro, it's lighter, easier to carry around, and I never feel crammed with it. I would at least think about the 13" model (which is heresy if it has windows 7 lol), and since you are new to a Mac get the Apple Store people to show you features like expose, etc. that make screen space more efficient in a Mac.

I'm pretty happy with my 13" model. Of course if you want the dedicated graphics card or increased processing power of a 15" that you can't get with a 13" that's another story...