noob time machine question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheekybobcat, Apr 27, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I think I am going to erase and install leopard again since I've been experiencing issues with an app. Will Time Machine allow me to install all my apps back onto my computer? For instance, I have Word installed currently. If I erase and install Leopard, can I use Time Machine to reinstall Word and use it?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I wouldn't swear to it, but I would say probably yes ... as long as Time-Machine has backed up the Applications folder.

I have Time-Machine set NOT to back up the Apps folder.

CAUTION
    I would wait for a few more replies, hopefully from someone who has actually done it ....:eek:

3. MM07 macrumors 6502a

It worked for me. I upgraded my HD and I used my Time Machine backup to replace everything. I had to tweek a few things, but all my apps were there, including Office 2008.

4. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

My concern is when I tried to run Word from the Time Machine backup on my external, it just brought up an error message.

I do have an appointment with a Genius tomorrow so maybe (s)he can help shed some light on my problems...

Edit: I ended up reinstalling Leopard (Erase and Install) and used my Time Machine backup to reinstall all my files. Worked like a charm with the exception of my .journal (honestly, I have no idea what .journal is and I haven't had any problems so whatev) wasn't transfered over. All my apps, including Microsoft 2008, were successfully reinstalled and after I software updated, all my music; all my everything was back. Time Machine is a life saver.