Noob windows to mac question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cjallen, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Cjallen macrumors newbie

I'm awaiting delivery on a rMBP and have a 1TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk external HD that's always been used with Windows XP. How easy or difficult will it be to use with my MBP without losing any data? Ideally I'd like to both read and write of/to the drive.

Edit: if it's any help I also have a Buffalo HD somewhere that I've never used. I can't remember the model though.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

This may be useful:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks

3. Cjallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I'll also add that once it's transferred to the MBP I won't use it on any windows PC's

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After you transfer the data to your MBP, if you want to use the external drive only with Mac OS X, you can reformat the drive as HFS+, which will make it suitable for backups, if you want to use it for that.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

5. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Yeah, just transfer everything on a temporary folder on your Mac. Then open Disk Utility (preinstalled OS X app) and format your drive as HFS+. Then transfer your files on the drive again.

6. Cjallen thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I use Paragon first to get things working, do I then use HFSexplorer after to write to the drive?

Sorry this is all new to me. Not sure if it makes any difference but its only for my sample library, pretty much all WAV files.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you use Paragon if you want to read and write NTFS drives from Mac OS X.
    You use HFSExplorer if you want to read, but not write, HFS-formatted drives from Windows.

8. Cjallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Will it read the files already, or let me move them to a temporary folder before I reformat it to HFS+, or do I need Paragon for that?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, as my earlier link states, Mac OS X can read NTFS natively. You can copy files from a NTFS drive to your Mac with no additional software required.

10. Cjallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, just so I'm clear....

Plug HD drive in, move files to OS X> reformat external to HFS+> move files back to external HD > good to go for all future reading and writing?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct.

12. Cjallen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you sir. That answered a lot that google couldn't.