Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HaiirPeace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
The Desert
Hey everyone! So I've had a PC my entire life and was convinced by my friends to buy a Macbook since my Dell Studio was crapping out after 2.5 years. (which btw I paid $850 for and only sold for $275). ANYWAY So I bought my mac in May of this year and ever since the day I bought it I've been getting the pinwheel of death every once in a while and I'm not sure if I click things too fast? I'm impatient with the internet sometimes. I bought my Macbook new and not used I got it on sale from Frys Electronics for $800

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
From what I understand, the pinwheel is a hard disk access issue (unless something is truly hanging), so yes, you may be clicking too fast. Run Disc Utility and repair permissions and verify disk, if everything looks okay, then you just have to live with the pinwheel. The answer to this is a faster hard drive, perhaps a 500 gig 7200 rpm, or a SSD.

HaiirPeace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
The Desert
well the pinwheel usually is only up for a couple seconds when it does happen. I was just wondering if it were normal because a friend told me that a new mac shouldn't do that

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
The pin wheel can be normal from time to time, but certainly not a pin wheel of death (never ending pin wheel). I've seen the pin wheel mostly on the older macs with 512 MHz of memory and after adding more memory, the pin wheel goes away for the most part.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Mow some lawns and pop an x25 SSD in that baby and UNLEASH the Dragon! Seriously though. Or get a 7200 rpm hard drive. Watch what the lowly Macbook can do.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If it only pops up for a couple seconds, then no worries, it will do that if it is looking for something on the hard drive of loading a big file, etc. If it stays for a while, then you might have a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.