Noobie question about HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mickeysworld, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mickeysworld macrumors member

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase my first mac, the low end 2011 mbp 15in. My question for all the experts out there is will the basic configuration be adequate for my needs?

I am a stay at home mom and use the computer for:
    email
    web browsing and shopping
    netflix watching
    organization (calendars, contacts, notes)
    music
    photo storing
    home video editing (my limited experience is imovie on the iphone)

I would also be sharing the computer with my 3 young children who do the occasional essay/paper writing for school. They also like to play games, nothing that is super graphics intense. They do like 3D games, though and watching things on youtube.

My question is will the entry level 15in model with the quad core and 5400rpm HDD be a good fit for me? I tend not to upgrade often (my car is over 10 years old, the current notebook I'm typing on is 6 years old, you get the picture, so a little future proofing would be great). What say you experts?

Thanks in advance! ps - does anyone know if the visual interface of things like the calendar and contacts on the ipad is also available on the mbp? I really prefer the look of those things on the ipad and would love if there was a way to have the same look on the notebook. Thanks again!

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

This computer will more than handle everything listed without breaking a sweat. As for it lasting 6-10 years. I can't really comment there. If you take good care of it I don't see any reason it shouldn't but a couple minor updates would probably help you with its longevity.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Based on your use it sounds like any current model Mac (including a Mini or MacBook) would suit your needs just fine. The 15" MBP might be a bit of overkill, but it will certainly do the job.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

if you dont need current day tech or specs, try the refurbs on apple's site saves you a lot and are still well capable machines of handling what you want.

5. mickeysworld thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm feeling better about my choice. After reading through some of the discussions on macrumors I was beginning to feel a bit paranoid that I was settling if I didn't upgrade the speed of the HDD or get SSD or upgrade to a high res screen, etc. So, thanks again.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should keep in mind that many on this forum are fanatics about "ultimate performance", even though most of them never probe the limits of their Mac's capabilities. For the vast majority of users, including the needs that you've described, any of the Mac models will easily meet their needs, both today and for years to come.

7. Patrick946 macrumors regular

Hah, I was starting to worry about the same thing. Similarly, many Macbook Air reviews docked it for being too slow, but then talked about programs that were way more demanding than anything I'll end up using.