Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hey guys,

I know this is a super noobie question, but this is a high priority problem for me so I hope it's okay for me to be asking this question.

Question:
This is the first time I'm downloading a file to my iPad from my web browser(Firefox) so I'm very nervous! I'm used to downloading files to my Mac/Windows PC's and it's essentially the same process for desktop machines. I want to download a few legal audio/video files from a website I'm accessing using Firefox. How do I do it on my iPad and how is it different from a Mac/Windows PC? What security precautions do I need to take?

I've ONLY used the Apple iOS Store to install apps on my iPad and never from a web browser. ?

Thank you so much!

Edit: I just changed the prefix in the title.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey guys,

I know this is a super noobie question, but this is a high priority problem for me so I hope it's okay for me to be asking this question.

Question:
This is the first time I'm downloading a file to my iPad from my web browser(Firefox) so I'm very nervous! I'm used to downloading files to my Mac/Windows PC's and it's essentially the same process for desktop machines. I want to download a few legal audio/video files from a website I'm accessing using Firefox. How do I do it on my iPad and how is it different from a Mac/Windows PC? What security precautions do I need to take?

I've ONLY used the Apple iOS Store to install apps on my iPad and never from a web browser. ?

Thank you so much!

How to download files and documents to iPhone or iPad

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
In terms of security I am unable to help you. I am not sure if there are security scanning apps for iOS (similar to say Mac/Windows).

I am a bit worried on whether you will be able to access those audio files once they are downloaded to be honest. I know that this is not the question you asked but how do you plan to use them? I have downloaded audio files on my iPad and I have not been able to open them via Music app for example. I had to download another one to do it.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
In terms of security I am unable to help you. I am not sure if there are security scanning apps for iOS (similar to say Mac/Windows).

I am a bit worried on whether you will be able to access those audio files once they are downloaded to be honest. I know that this is not the question you asked but how do you plan to use them? I have downloaded audio files on my iPad and I have not been able to open them via Music app for example. I had to download another one to do it.
Your message is appreciated!

I just want to download the audio files to the iPad's local storage(64GB) and then listen to them later on without needing to access the internet. Does this make sense?

I'm trying to find an official link from Apple about this.

I'd be really grateful if an iOS/iPad OS security expert could help me out!

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hey guys,

Question:

Thank you so much!

iPadOS is even more secure than Windows and macOS, so unless you’re leaving some critical information online, you shouldn’t worry too much about downloading files on your iPad. No need to be nervous, it is even more safe than doing it on a desktop. Especially if you’re downloading from legal sources, I would say that you don’t need to take any special security precautions.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
iPadOS is even more secure than Windows and macOS, so unless you’re leaving some critical information online, you shouldn’t worry too much about downloading files on your iPad. No need to be nervous, it is even more safe than doing it on a desktop. Especially if you’re downloading from legal sources, I would say that you don’t need to take any special security precautions.

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm running iOS 12 as my iPad doesn't support iPad OS 13...

In terms of security, does it make a difference if I'm running iOS 12? ?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Sorry I forgot to mention I'm running iOS 12 as my iPad doesn't support iPad OS 13...

In terms of security, does it make a difference if I'm running iOS 12? ?

While newer iOS versions are, generally speaking, always more secure, in the case of simply downloading files there shouldn’t be any difference. On any platform, the act of downloading itself isn’t usually the problem, it’s activating malicious code once the file has been downloaded. With iOS (regardless of the version), every app is sandboxed, meaning opening the files you download will be limited to the app you use to open them (whatever that app is) - so these files won’t have any access to the rest of the system.

But you shouldn’t worry that much about downloading audio/video files from legal sources either way - on any platform. I mean, if you deliberately went to a shady site and left your credit card information to download pirated music or movies - that could be a reason to worry for malicious stuff.

Generally speaking, your main concern on iOS devices is about leaving sensitive information online (who you give your information to). That goes for any OS, but iOS is pretty much safe from other dangers due to its sandboxed nature. Of course, always be careful, but don’t let it limit your work/enjoyment (like avoiding to download legal content).

Last edited:

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
While newer iOS versions are, generally speaking, always more secure, in the case of simply downloading files there shouldn’t be any difference. On any platform, the act of downloading itself isn’t usually the problem, it’s activating malicious code once the file has been downloaded. With iOS (regardless of the version), every app is sandboxed, meaning opening the files you download will be limited to the app you use to open them (whatever that app is) - so these files won’t have any access to the rest of the system.

But you shouldn’t worry that much about downloading audio/video files from legal sources either way - on any platform. I mean, if you deliberately went to a shady site and left your credit card information to download pirated music or movies - that could be a reason to worry for malicious stuff.

Generally speaking, your main concern on iOS devices is about leaving sensitive information online (who you give your information to). That goes for any OS, but iOS is pretty much safe from other dangers due to its sandboxed nature. Of course, always be careful, but don’t let it limit your work/enjoyment (like avoiding to download legal content).
Thanks for your reply!

I'm not looking to download any pirated files at all. I only want to download some files from a legitimate website.

Is there anything else I can do to try and keep my iPad secure while downloading files using the Firefox web browser?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
What are you worried about specifically regarding your downloads?

As others here have mentioned, iPadOS is much more secure than both Windows and macOS counterparts. Your downloads on iOS/iPadOS are stored in a “bubble” or container of sorts

If you want an extra peace of mind, you can also install any of the “usual” antivirus/security tools on your iPad. Just type “malware” in the AppStore search and it will give you plenty of options, from bigger and smaller players (McAffee, Kaspersky, Avast, Avira, etc.). ?

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
What are you worried about specifically regarding your downloads?

As others here have mentioned, iPadOS is much more secure than both Windows and macOS counterparts. Your downloads on iOS/iPadOS are stored in a “bubble” or container of sorts

If you want an extra peace of mind, you can also install any of the “usual” antivirus/security tools on your iPad. Just type “malware” in the AppStore search and it will give you plenty of options, from bigger and smaller players (McAffee, Kaspersky, Avast, Avira, etc.). ?
Thank you, but I don't have access to iPadOS/iOS 13 that you mention because my iPad only supports iOS 12... :(

Am I at more risk to download files by using iOS 12 and not iPadOS/iOS 13?

What do you mean by the downloads being stored in a "bubble"?

Sorry to be asking these questions, but this is the first time I'm ever downloading a file to my iPad. I've only ever streamed files using Netflix.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Thank you, but I don't have access to iPadOS/iOS 13 that you mention because my iPad only supports iOS 12... :(

Am I at more risk to download files by using iOS 12 and not iPadOS/iOS 13?

What do you mean by the downloads being stored in a "bubble"?

Sorry to be asking these questions, but this is the first time I'm ever downloading a file to my iPad. I've only ever streamed files using Netflix.

There is not so much difference between iOS 12 & 13 in that respect, so what I wrote applies to iOS 12 too, including the security tools you can install on your iPad, if you like.

By “bubble” I meant that your iOS downloads are stored in a special portion of iOS (like a folder) and cannot self-execute or self-open without your knowledge. As others have mentioned, you might actually have to install a third party app just to be able to open your files. For audio/video content, VLC player could work.

Reactions: secretk

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
There is not so much difference between iOS 12 & 13 in that respect, so what I wrote applies to iOS 12 too, including the security tools you can install on your iPad, if you like.

By “bubble” I meant that your iOS downloads are stored in a special portion of iOS (like a folder) and cannot self-execute or self-open without your knowledge. As others have mentioned, you might actually have to install a third party app just to be able to open your files. For audio/video content, VLC player could work.
I see, thank you!

Once I've downloaded a video file on my iPad that's running iOS 12, how can I transfer the video file to my Windows 10 PC?

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
If you want to watch it on your Windows 10 PC, it is much easier to download/watch it straight on it. Using your iPad as a “download station” is not really convenient.
Thank you, but I don't have access to my Windows 10 PC all of the time and since my iPad is so portable I want to try and download the files to the iPad and then transfer it to the Windows 10 PC.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Thank you, but I don't have access to my Windows 10 PC all of the time and since my iPad is so portable I want to try and download the files to the iPad and then transfer it to the Windows 10 PC.

Why not use cloud services then? Download the file through the iPad but store it on some cloud service that you can then access from the Windows machine.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

The simplest way, by far, would be installing a VLC player on your iPad and either watch it straight on it or stream it on a TV from an iPad.

Other options would include:
- once your file is downloaded to iPad, copying it to your PC via iTunes;
- as suggested above, saving the file in your iCloud Drive, Dropbox or similar (this might take a long while);
- saving it to one of the hybrid (USB-A/Lightning) flash drives, similar to the one pictured below. ?

2F3FE771-BA63-4D0D-A83A-B301313AC228.jpeg

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Why not use cloud services then? Download the file through the iPad but store it on some cloud service that you can then access from the Windows machine.

The simplest way, by far, would be installing a VLC player on your iPad and either watch it straight on it or stream it on a TV from an iPad.

Other options would include:
- once your file is downloaded to iPad, copying it to your PC via iTunes;
- as suggested above, saving the file in your iCloud Drive, Dropbox or similar (this might take a long while);
- saving it to one of the hybrid (USB-A/Lightning) flash drives, similar to the one pictured below. ?

View attachment 916567

Thank you!

You both have given me some ideas and I really appreciate that!

I don't feel safe using one of those external drives to connect to the iPad's Lightning port as I've never tried this before so I don't know which company I can trust to buy an external drive from...

What's the most secure way I can transfer files from my iPad to my Windows 10 PC?

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
usually it's done the other way around, open your music with iTunes in windows/mac then transfer them to iPad.
that way you can listen to with every app on your device.

iPads are very save you cannot install software from the web, only thru the Appstore and that one is secure.
as long as you don't jailbreak ;)

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
What's the most secure way I can transfer files from my iPad to my Windows 10 PC?

Why not create a folder on your Windows 10 PC, right click on it, share it, and then just use the Files app on the iPad to connect to your PC via WiFi ? Within Files app, click the 3 dot menu on the upper left, select Connect to Server, enter in the IP address of your PC on your network, use the login credentials (MS ID) that you normally use in Windows 10 as your username and password.

Reactions: Precursor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.