noobie wanst notepad ++ :(

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by alfmoonspace, Jan 30, 2011.

1. alfmoonspace macrumors member

Sorry to bother you guys about this question, I am a new CS major at Weber State and we are learning java. Anyway, the teacher uses jgrasp but I seriously have fallen in love with notepad ++.

I got a macbook pro but I can't seem to find a editor that has exactly what notepad ++ shows to me (offers?).

A list of languages, you know how it has the end { connector, and automatic numbering.

Anyway, maybe I am missing something here. Played around coda, Smultron, TextEdit but cant seem to duplicate notepad ++? Any help?

Sorry for being a noobie, hopefully you guys can understand my gibberish!

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. timmy67 macrumors newbie

4. ryketech macrumors newbie

TextWrangler has been my choice for a while now...does exactly what it should and it's free.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Learn Vim. It will take awhile but you'll feel so much more in control when editing text. I'm only really just starting to feel comfortable in it and only use 0.0001% of its features but I am already so much faster in it than I am in a normal GUI text editor.

Plus it is free and works on Mac OS X, Linux, other Unices and Windows.

6. alfmoonspace thread starter macrumors member

how do I enable the { follower from start/end so I can read my code better?

7. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Say this a different way, I can't decipher what you mean and I'm guessing others won't either... do you want something to highlight a section of code within a block when your cursor is on one of the braces? Do you want a } added whenever you type a {? Do you want the next line to be indented when you type a {? Do you want the } highlighted when your cursor is over the matching { and vice versa? "{ follower from start/end" does not make sense to me.

-Lee

8. DKfraDK macrumors newbie

+1 for TextMate.. Way better than notepad++ IMO.

9. alfmoonspace thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, that was totally confusing. So when you open in a class with a { and end with a }, there is a doted line that shows you the connection.

That is probably the best I can do, haha. Just wondering if any mac text editor has that option?

10. DKfraDK macrumors newbie

You can do so in TextMate. By choosing "Show Invisibles".

11. czeluff macrumors 6502

+1 for Textmate. Give it a try, it's solid.

By chance is this teacher named Prof. Rague?