Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Hi All,

Hope you can give me a few tips for getting an iPad 2.

1) If I buy an unlocked iPad wifi / 3g -- can I use a sim from a mobile to access
data.

2) Can I print from a standard printer?

Cheers

ruvil

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2010
Hi All,

Hope you can give me a few tips for getting an iPad 2.

1) If I buy an unlocked iPad wifi / 3g -- can I use a sim from a mobile to access
data.

2) Can I print from a standard printer?

Cheers

1) If your mobile has a microsimcard - yes, that should be possible depending on the provider that you are using.

baker.d13

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Sheffield, UK
Yup, and it will print to any printer (not only the ones listed on the url above) if you run AirPrintActivator (which is free)

any WiFi Printer will work adn if you download pages,keynote and numbers you can print straight from the app over Wifi if the printer supports it

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

What would I need to read files from a wireless external hard drive (I wish I could connect to a wired one too!)?

Could I also save pdf documents to the drive as I am browsing on the web?

Thanks!

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
any WiFi Printer will work adn if you download pages,keynote and numbers you can print straight from the app over Wifi if the printer supports it

So all wi-fi printers are supported, and not just the ones in the supported list?

I've been under the impression that you couldn't use a phone uSIM in an iPad, or at least on O2. But I may well be mistaken.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA

I second this. Any printer a host computer supports, regardless of connection, will work with AirPrint on a network. AirPrint basically acts like a print server and works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.