NoobProof messes with integrated graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShoG, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ShoG, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

ShoG macrumors member

Im having trouble using NoobProof to set up my firewall and the gfxcardstatus app. The problem is when I have NoobProof running it forces my mbp 8,3 to use discrete gfx, I can't manually change it (I can but Ill try to explain).

If I do choose integrated in the gfxcardstatus app it says 'I' but the Istat widget still reads temps and sensors for the AMD card, like the gpu diode isn't clear but has a temp/reading (33c). Not sure if thats a tell tale sign that the notebook is using discrete gfx (having a reading on the gpu diode?) in Istat pro, but thats the reason Im making the assumption that even when I force integrated its showing "i" but not really using integrated gfx. That and the 'D' gfxcardstatus shows in dynamic switching normally. If thats unclear let me know I could try to explain it better.

Is there a way to use the firewall with just integrated?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Just because it's registering doesn't mean it's using it. It always records the data for that temperature so it can log that as the trouble spot in case it overheats.
    Terrible analogy, but it's like turning off your car's climate control and then worrying when it still displays the inside ambient temperature. (You'll know what I'm talking about if you have a Acura, Mercedes, ect.) Even if you're not using the card, it will always register.

If you're using lion just click the apple menu, about this mac, more info and then this screen tells you what graphics card you're using. I'm using a cinema display currently, so mine registers my dedicated card.

Attached Files:

3. thatoneguy82, Jan 6, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I don't know anything about the Noobproof software. But, are you also asking if gfxcardstatus app is working. It does. I have both iStats and gfxcardstatus and temperature is always shown. You can confirm this by checking your "About This Mac" and go to more info and then Display. It will tell you what graphics card it is using currently. I have mine auto switch, integrated on battery, discrete plugged in.

Edit: Looks like someone answered you before I could post.

But here are the images anyway. These ones have the gfxcardstatus in the status bar. Look at the top right.

When Integrated:
    [​IMG]

When on Discrete. N is for Nvidia chip:
    [​IMG]

4. ShoG, Jan 6, 2012

ShoG thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, I get your analogy on the climate control, but on my system Ive noticed that when ever I have integrated gfx forced or when using the dynamic setting and it says integrated gfx, the gpu diode sensor is always just a dash @idle (gpu diode - vs gpu diode X°c using discrete gfx). I use this as an accurate way of telling if I am indeed running integrated or discrete gfx if my system is idle.

@mgartner0622, you said just because it's registering doesn't mean it's using it, what are you referring to here. Do you mean that gfxcardstatus is not showing the right card all the time, or that Istats may show the temp of a card that isn't in use. I guessing you mean the latter, if thats the case this never happens with my experience. But when I use integrated I see gpu diode but there is no reading (while the system is idle). However I do get temps if there is something using the integrated gfx, like quicktime for youtube. This is normal right? I am using Istat pro not Istat menu, I haven't use menus but I am assuming that you use istat menu and that it shows cards not in use, however in istat pro it only shows readings for the card in use afaik.

Also what makes the Istat reading switch between heatsink B and gpu diode, in Istat pro? Anyone else using noobproof?

TIA

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

My MBP always shows a reading for the discrete GPU. When not in use the number is often a bit crazy, like 1C, but it shows something.

I wouldn't trust istat, I wouldn't even give much on what gfxcardstatus says. About Mac -> More Info tells you which card is being used.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Yes, I meant the latter. In my experience, whether I am using integrated or dedicated graphics my card registers on iStat Pro. I just ran off integrated to double check and this is what I see: (iStat Pro attachment)

EDIT - What MacBook Pro model do you have? On my old Mid-2010 15" GFXcardstatus had issues reporting the right graphics card was being used. However it's flawless on this 2011 model.

Attached Files: