Noobs doing stupid stuff: New Macbook Pro setup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sffa, Feb 19, 2010.

1. sffa macrumors newbie

Hello, and thanks in advance for sharing your mac - insight. My new system is better than I am, so i need help.

I just got my new Macbook Pro 13 unibody, 2.53GHz Drive, 8 GB RAM & 256GB solid-state drive. yay! very exciting!

(I accidentally got the glossy screen, but sent it to techrestore and they turned around a matte screen replace on it in 1 day! amazing!!)

I am upgrading from a g4 powerbook, on which i replaced the drive last year ,and have 8 G Ram in that.

I notice that the new macbook pro does not seem to be much faster than my old system, and hangs quite a bit..

when i first turned the macbook pro on, I did not have my old G4 handy (since I lent to someone) so I pointed the new macbook pro to my superduper backup on my seagate, which seemed to work fine and transferred over my apps and data. By pointing my new macbook pro to my old G4 superduper backup did I do something that means I am not using my awesome new system to its advantage?

Is there something about doing that to transfer that has the wrong/old configs or something that might be sticking my old jalopy g4 world on my new tesla macbook pro? I vaguely remember something about 64 and 32 bit choosing when i was setting up my new macbook pro, but i flushed my mental cache on that already...

For instance,.. i use quicksilver and some apps just don't open now with QS...also and certain apps just crash when I open them (like handbrake...)..I selected 20 files to open in Illustrator so I could feel the raw SSD power and it took forever...longer than what it would take on my G4.

I tried to make a disk image with superduper just now, and the error said said something about 'wrong architecture'...

any ideas?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

When you say you pointed it to your clone, did you use Migration Assistant?

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Unless it can't be avoided I'd go with a fresh install and manually transfer your files. You need to search for a different version of QS – Google "Quicksilver Snow Leopard".

Don't talk yourself down! Your brain is more complex then any computer can simulate. If your hands were made of the same metal as of your laptop – they'd ware away to nothing over three times throughout your life.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you have gone from Leopard to Snow Leopard
    You will need to make sure you have the latest SL compatible versions

But if you used Migration Assistant, it should account for moving from the G4 to the new MBP as far as drivers, etc

5. sffa thread starter macrumors newbie

@MacDawg I did not use/launch migration assistant -- or at least, i don't think so. It was the first thing I did when I turned my new computer on....I went through the prompts from the get-go...and it look exactly like my old setup

6. sffa thread starter macrumors newbie

@MacDawg ...actually -- I think maybe I went from Tiger to whatever I have now..10.6 leopard. I never had Leopard before...I think it was 10.4...isn't that tiger?

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Not making a whole lot of sense.

1. 2.53ghz drive? We use hertz as a measure of frequency, i.e. the frequency of a CPU clock ipso facto you probably meant 2.53ghz CPU.

2. There is no glossy option for the 13" MacBook Pro.

3. 8gb of memory in the PowerBook G4? Impossible, even the 13" MacBook Pro can just handle 8gb of memory.

Now then, most of these apps are probably having issues because you transfered from a PowerPC. Go to the Activity Monitor and open some of the apps and look at all of the Universal and PowerPC processes that are running. You want Intel and Intel (64). Any apps that are having problems, move them to the trash and download the latest version and install. Most of them will keep your preferences, so no need to reset ALL of the preferences.

Besides, you're probably running OLD software that was limited by your G4. Now you have Intel and can run the latest versions of all of that software.

Worth a try.

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I assume you mean the 13 has no matte option.
    I too noticed that a G4 is definitely not going to have 8 gb ram.
    Either this is a troll thread, or more likely, OP is just clueless when it comes to computers.

9. sffa thread starter macrumors newbie

@MrCheeto

1. 2.53 something...:eek:
    2. trust me, that screen was a frickin' mirror on my new macbook pro, and I paid $200 just now for a matte one.
    3. i upgraded the ram on my old g4 powerbook. maybe it was only 4, not 8. But the new macbook pro i just bought came with 8g ram for sure.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to crank up with activity monitor and see what's up there. So, dumb question...I no longer have a powerpc...what do i have now with my new macbook pro?

dumb q #2...when I install new versions....do you think i will have to buy all the SW again, or will then new versions recognize that I have an valid copy and just install over?

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

"I accidentally got the glossy screen"

-no...there is no glossy option...because there are NO options.

11. sffa thread starter macrumors newbie

@mikes70mustang yes, the OP is clueless about computers. :(

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You have an Intel Mac now instead of a PPC

As far as your software is concerned... it will be an individual case by case basis
    Some will have SL updates at no charge
    Others may not

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

1. Alright then.
    2. There is no option for a glossy or matte screen, it's glossy, the end, you didn't make a mistake you got a MacBook Pro, which comes with a shiny screen, the end.
    3. The most powerful PowerBook can handle a max of 2gb.

PowerPC was the old architecture designed by Apple, IBM and Motorola. Today we use x86 or x86-64 if it's 64bit (which ALL Intel macs are).
    So PowerPC is the architecture of the G4 and x86-64 is the architecture of the Core 2 Duo that you have now. The G4 was made by Motorola (for the most part) and the Core 2 Duo is made by Intel, whom makes the processors in all current macs.

Not sure, start an application and click the name of it in the menu bar, then click "check for updates" on those that have that option.

14. sffa thread starter macrumors newbie

looking at the activity monitor, i have 3 kinds in the CPU tab: PowerPC, Intel, and Intel (64).

You brainiacs will already know that the stuff that says PowerPC seems to be apps from my old G4 system I transferred, the Intel (64) seems to be system processes (like UserEvent Agent and dynamic_pager), and the Intel stuff seems to be system stuff I don't recognize and also apps I installed myself into this new system.

does this sound right?

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Intel means it is an x86 process and Intel (64) means it is an x86-64 process. The latter just means it's a 64-bit process and can be anything from system processes to an installed application.

Anything that says PowerPC should be updated or deleted and replaced with an Intel release of that software. If there isn't an Intel version, don't worry, they run fine on Intel although not as well as they could.

16. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Then why in the world do you need a $3,000 MBP??

17. sffa thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome. thanks superdudes. I troll around and update all the old SW. I guess it's time to upgrade CS2 anyway and office 2004 anyway.

Now if I can just get my 30' cinema screen to stop with the occasional vertical flashing lines...

18. sffa thread starter macrumors newbie

@Alonzo84 cause my old work laptop died and I was allowed to name my new workhorse :)

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, you might want to keep Office 2004
    Many (most?) prefer it to the Office 2008
    Just sayin'

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Maybe he wants to get into it, everyone has to start somewhere

21. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I guess...wish I had that kind of budget to get into something!

Well that's awesome! Are they hiring?:D

22. TheMarc macrumors member

What I don't understand is what you got for 200 bucks if you really paid that... :confused: :confused: :confused:

23. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

i might be wron but i wasnt aware the the 13's have a matte option

24. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

go to techrestore.com, they will replace the screen and bezel for $200 with a matte display and matte black bezel.

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you want, cmd key and space gives a slightly inferior but still useful QS experience.