Nooby External HD Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Afro1989, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

I am completely new to external hard drives, and I've searched this forum for a long time and it's only making my life more complicated. :p

All I need it an external hard drive to store photos. It's not too complicated. Is LaCie the way to go or is this Iomega good for a first external HD?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Me id go with LaCie or possibly WD mybook ( combo )

3. methodmano macrumors member

I use a WD MyBook for my music, photos, movies, etc. It works great and I haven't had any issues. They're reliable and well priced as well.

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

If you have any decommissioned but reliable internal IDE or SATA drives you can buy a USB enclosure for $30 and make your own external USB drive.

5. Afro1989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're being sacrastic?

6. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Why, do you know me? :) No. When I entered the Mac world (about two weeks ago) I took one of my 250GB Seagate drives from my Windows machine, put it in a $22 USB hard drive enclosure from computergeeks.com, and now have a perfectly functioning external drive to use with Time Machine. Works great. And I still have three years left on my Seagate warranty.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No he's not being sacrastic,when i swapped out my internal for a larger one i put the old
    drive in a enclosure. You can also do this with new drives as it works out cheaper