Nook Tablet and Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skeeeto, Feb 7, 2012.

1. skeeeto macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was thinking of buying a Nook Tablet however wasn't sure if it would work with the airport extreme. I had a few windows computers that couldn't connect to it so this is why I am skeptical. Any suggestions?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. skeeeto thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So you don't think I would have to change any settings on my AE?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope you should be fine, but that site gives you lot's of help....I'm no Android expert, but other foks are using AE fine.

5. camardelle macrumors 6502

Running an old school nook and two kindle fires on mine for what it's worth.

6. skeeeto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. Now I'm debating with the Kindle Fire. Just bc they have a better app store. Hehe.

7. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I had the nook tablet (8gb) for one day and then returned it.

Here are my impressions:

Things I like about the Nook:

Screen: colors are nice
    Weight: about half the weight as the ipad2. Can be held with one hand
    Performance: The UI was fairly snappy even with the limited ram.
    Memory card slot - up to 32gb micro sd
    Hardware volume and home buttons
    Supports ePub format natively.

Things I did not like:

Browser: really slow rendering pages compared to ipad even with flash turned off. There is a terrible stuttering lag when scrolling within the browser.

Font rendering for books: This was the deal killer for me. Something with the Nook's font rendering is a bit off. Fonts do not appear crisp to the eye making reading on this device a real chore.

The App Store: App selection in the B&N store is really limited compared to the IOS app store and even the kindle app store. The good apps that do exist cost on average 2 to 3 times as much as thier ios counterparts. This wouldn't be a big deal if the amazon app store or other apks could be side loaded onto the nook. But this is not possible with the firmware (1.42) that is preloaded on the nook tablet.

I only played with the kindle fire for a limited time. Based on the short time of the device, here are my impressions :

Things I like about the fire:
    The UI is nicer and is easier to navigate.
    The browser seems to render a little bit faster and the scroll lag is not as bad.
    Font rendering for books seemed be be a little smoother to me.
    App store has a better selection of quality apps. And they are cheaper.

Things that bother me about the fire:

No home and volume hardware buttons:
    8 gb storage is very limited
    No sd card slot
    Does not support ePub.

So If I had to choose between these two, I would get the fire.

But in reality I will probably save up and get an iPad 3.