Nook

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tallgrass, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Tallgrass macrumors member

Tallgrass

A coworker told me today that his daughter received a Nook for Xmas, and that
    it does everything my iPad does. I find that hard to believe. What are your thoughts?

2. RabidBear macrumors member

RabidBear

3. madlymocha macrumors member

Hi,

I have a nook color, which has to be what your co-worker is talking about.
    It's a great device but it DOES NOT do everything the iPad does.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Some people are clueless. That's why we have failblog. ;)

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Umm. It's a col touchscreen, 7 inch display, has Pandora and can read books/listen to music. That can't compare to an iPad. It runs off of Android 2.1 but has no App Market of yet.

6. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

In a simple answer, it doesn't compare. The only thing close to comparing to the iPad experience is the Galaxy Tab. I didn't say it compared; I said the only thing close to comparing.

7. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

I bought a nook B&W for my mother in law and was looking at the color, but the people working the Nook counter at the local B&N were talking trash about the Nook color. They didn't sound overly impressed with it in the least bit. They were more amped about the B&W which I agree with as an e-reader, but in comparing the Nook to my Kindle 3, the Kindle wins hands down (in my opinion).

I have an iPad, and neither of these devices can do anything near what my iPad can. Totally like comparing Apples to E-Readers.

8. JohnDG macrumors member

9. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Not even close..no Bluetooth, gyro, 3G, gps, or even all the buttons that a lot of android apps are looking for. Not to mention it weighs more and has much worse battery life when wifi is on

It is a good e-reader that can do a few more things (btw, I have all three)

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

I agree that it lacks many of the features the iPad has and the apps the iPad has. I think you should use a nook yourself and then see how much it actually "sucks." The screen is extremely laggy - pages turn at the speed of 1 mile/year and the display looks like complete crap. I have nothing against the nook or any other iPad competitor. It just annoys me to see that companies spend millions in releasing a device which can't perform at ease. I had the nook for 4 days and I'm extremely happy I returned it.

11. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

Zoinks! Not everyone is adept at research... My mother or father could have easily asked the same question, not knowing where to begin to research. Shame on you for being such a Scrooge.

12. shingles314 macrumors newbie

It's a matter of expectations...
    If the person's only expectation is ebooks... sure it does do everything the iPad can do. But that doesn't mean they are wrong. It's just that is what they want to use it for.

13. onlymybiribiri macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

My friend received a Nook for Christmas and installed Android OS on it. Now it can do everything an iPad can.

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Can it download apps from the iTunes store ???;)

15. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Lol

NookColor has always had Android 2.1. Your friend may have rooted it. There are downsides though. It voids the warranty, difficult to do, and a pain in the rear to restore. I have a NokkColor and wouldn't expect to use it as a tablet. It's kind of slow, not too responsive and just wasn't meant to be used a's a tablet. That's going to deteriorate the experience.

16. onlymybiribiri macrumors newbie

onlymybiribiri

I have no idea what my friend did to it, I know he got the one that costs $250.

@MrWillie Very funny, no it can't. It can run any android app he wants though. He says that it has all of the same features as the iPad. I really want to give it a try and see.

17. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I won a nook on slick deals.net Christmas giveaway, we I received it played with it a minute and put it on craigslist, it's not for me.

18. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

19. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

The NookColor, or the $249 model, has always had Android. That's how Barnes & Noble designed it. It has a couple of preinstalled apps, that's it. You can root the device but only a tech savvy person would ever attempt it since it has a bunch of steps and the potential of very easily ruining the device. I'm doubting he has done so, you should check it out. Either way, the Nook does not make a good tablet. Out if the box it's just an ereader with Pandora and chess. It's convenient if you want to read while listening to music.

20. captjoe06 macrumors newbie

At first the Mrs asked for a Kindle for Christmas.

Some how or other the marketing team from Amazon has convinced folks that if you read books that its display is so much better for reading and easier on your eyes so that you should want to buy a Kindle if you are a reader.

I laughed inside at the premise and when the Mrs asked my opinion I told her that I think that without a browser that there are better eReading alternatives for a little bit more money that will allow you to do so much more.

I recommended an iPad.

She said she doesn't need all the functionality of an iPad.

So I went and got her a Kindle with wifi and 3g for $200.

A day later she told me one of her girlfriends was getting a nook color and she was torn between the two.

She asked my opinion again and I told her that the Nook at least has a browser and she could email and check her Facebook from it for only $50 more than the Kindle it was a no-brainer. I said this knowing that in the two years of owning her iPhone she doesn't download any apps and I'm not sure that she has ever even synced it.

So the Kindle went back and I got her a Nook Color.

Her needs are extremely limited and she is very happy with it's size.

I would get an iPad and told her so but she had the option and tells me if she had to make the decision over again she would get the nook color.

Different folks use devices in different ways.

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

^^ There's wisdom in your post.

I'd argue that if you surfed around here long enough, a large percentage (if not majority) of the iPad owners are using theirs for a) reading books and b) surfing the web. They aren't big gamers, they aren't big photo bugs other than maybe to keep a few pictures on their device and many of them haven't even set up the email or iPod functions yet, if they ever will at all. By and large, they all settled on the 16gb iPad as space was irrelevant to them (books don't take up that much room).

For this crowd, a Nook Color would be more than adequate to meet their needs. Out of the box today, running firmware 1.0.1, its a serviceable eReader that can handle ePub books just fine, either purchased from B&N's store or "sideloaded" from a PC. The browser is nothing to write home about and I'd easily give iPad's Safari browser the vastly higher marks there. But its a version 1 device, barely two months old, and for what you pay for it ($250), its a bargain for this purpose. Having one side by side with an iPad, the smaller screen gives you a higher PPI. Coupled with the smaller screen, this would normally make for a better reading experience. However, the software still needs some work and is a little quirky in places. Then again, I'd say the same thing for iBooks so its a toss up there.

My friend showed me his Rooted Nook Color last night over lunch. Wow. What a difference rooting makes to this thing. It runs faster than stock, you can drop the Kindle App from the Android Marketplace onto your Nook Color, the Nook Color software is all still there so you don't lose anything, and its now a WiFi 7" Android Tablet for $250. He was running something called "Dolphin" for a browser and it was even doing Flash natively. Even pinch and zoom was now activated on the device (which, unrooted, its not). Even still, its not an iPad....but for $250, a Rooted Nook Color is likely iPad "enough" to satisfy the needs of likely 50% of the current iPad user base.

My advice: If money is not an issue, buy the real deal and get an iPad, even the 16gb will do. If money is an issue, and all you really want is an dark-lighting eReader with some web browsing capabilities, buy a Nook Color, root it and spend the remaining money you saved on books and media.

Not true. The steps to root a Nook Color are really no different than jailbreaking an iPhone, other than the need to format a microSD card to accept the Auto-Nooter (jailbreaking app) application. And even those have been automated via a number of scripts and batch files that exist out there. Its really a piece of cake. My friend has done his (I've not done it....yet.....might decide to) and he couldn't even figure out how to set up his gmail account originally so he's definitely not a techie. Anyone who can follow a short list of 8 steps can do it.

22. JohnDG macrumors member

That is the point I was trying to make. If it addresses a large percentage of the iPad functionality then, at the price, other 7" Android tablets are really going to suffer. This sets a cap on the Android pricing.

jdg

23. captjoe06 macrumors newbie

A note about rooting and being able to use flash from an Android user-

It really chews away at your battery.

I have an HTC EVO as my company picks up my cell bill and we use sprint.

Having also owning an iPad, there are very few flash based applications that I miss being able to do when using my iPad and the trade off IMO of having it installed on a device and the way it chews through battery life is not worth it.

24. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Everything? No.

Everything that person needs? Very possible.

Most common folk, when it comes to tablets, want to read, surf a couple sites, read their email, and maybe watch/listen to media.

25. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

for reading I prefer the older nook or the kindle as the E-INK is a lot easier on the eyes.

The old Nook is also android based (1.6 i think) and can be rooted and get to the "App store" though it is very limited, I was able to get an internet browser and pandora on mine.