Nook's Delivery Date - Tablet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ntrigue, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Id probably buy one if they weren't sold out... or do I want it merely because its sold out... hmmmm...

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I want one but I am also waiting to see what Apple comes out with.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'll be curious to see. There are some clever things about the design, but B&N hasn't really done much right in some time....

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

I like new toys so I ordered one. It has a Dec 11th ship date. We shall see! :D

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So what's the difference between this and Amazon's offerings?

I suppose they're not compatible either.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think they both read unprotected MobiPocket files but otherwise, no... The link below summarizes the differences.

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/10/20/kindle-nook-comparison/

To me the Nook seems like nicer hardware, but I've had my Kindle for months now. Ultimately it's all to me about who remains prominent in the market and gets books to be available in a timely fashion and a reasonable price -- I can't see myself overly enthusiastic about upgrading that frequently to new hardware models, although I buy a new book essentially as soon as I finish the one I'm reading.

The market might sustain a handful of players -- I don't think that translating a newly written book (that was digitally made anyways) into any reader's format is very time consuming (although I'd be interested to hear...).

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like the Nook over the Kindle since it would be able to read the many eReader books that I have purchased over the years.

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

The nook is by far a better looking device. But for me personally, it's too early to jump into this market with $250 + $XXX worth of books.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I don't know American pricing for books, but $9.99 for new releases only, and probably more for books that are a bit older, would only be a good deal if physical books cost over 50% more. If I see a digital book on sale for $14, it better cost over $21 at regular shops

No more printing, shipping books around, keeping up with demand in terms of inventory,, paying people to run shops, etc. In a way, great, but it would be even better if the customer saved a substantial amount as well.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the link, that helps a lot.

To be honest, I'm surprised at how either reader has gained so much popularity. Just a few months before the kindle was released e-books were all but dead.

Personally, I'm not entirely sold on the idea, as I like to re-read books, take them places that are not safe/convenient for a read. I can see in some situations where it can be advantageous.

Given the fact that the nook is out second means it can learn from the Kindle's shortcomings but B&N needs to get it out to market without any hiccups and it appears that's not the case.

12. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

My wife and I were over the moon when we found out the Kindle 2 was finally available in Canada. I've done some research since then and am not so thrilled with the Kindle anymore. The Nook appears to be a much better fit for us, but it's not available in Canada yet. There are a number of offerings coming very soon: Irex DR800SG and the Alex, as well as Sony's numerous e-readers. The rumoured Apple Tablet, too. I really want an e-reader, but I'm prepared to wait until I see something that I'll want to have for a number of years. No proprietary formatting like Kindle. either.

13. martin1000 macrumors regular

It will be interesting to see Amazon's response (next upgrade) to the Nook. Also interested to see what Apple has planned.

I'm going to sit and wait until we see the next generation Kindle and the Apple offering.

14. iOrlando macrumors 68000

they still aren't popular. People like us aren't normal. The masses are still scared by smartphones and are buying cheap nokia phones from att by the boatload, clueless of what kind of technology is out there.

Just like how we complain every day about apple and the app approval process, meanwhile the masses have no clue that apple even approves app. They just think they show up on their own....