Noooo. 3TB MyBook unplugged while fixing permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cymad, Oct 7, 2012.

1. cymad macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I was just repairing repairing my external hard drive with disk utility, but unfortunately I own a WD MyBook, and they have the most pathetic USB port ever....End of story -> I touched the USB cable, it lost connection with the macbook, and now 2TB of my hard disk is gone. (the folder is not there anymore). The hdd is still shown as full, so the files must be somewhere.

What should I do now to get my 2TB back? The entire Folder "Pictures" is gone.
    My new HDD is coming in 2-3 days which was supposed to become my backup HDD for my backup HDD....

Should I start Disk Repair again, or could I lose all my files this way for sure? Or should I use some special software? Don't mind paying, cause these are important pictures. Thanks

Please help.
    Thanks

2. PerformaGuy macrumors member

PerformaGuy

I'd recommend giving DriveSavers a call, explaining what happened and asking for a quote.
    That would probably be the safest option since I've often heard that preventing any further write action on the HD is the number one priority.

Other tools to checkout would be Tech Tools and Disk Warrior.
    I've saved a drive or two with Disk Warrior- but my cases were probably worse (the drive didn't even show in Disk Utility and DW saved it).

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I had 1TB+ of music files on an external drive that I corrupted somehow after ruining the back up drive shortly before. TechTool pro didn't work but a $100 program called Data Recovery extracted them.

4. cymad thread starter macrumors newbie

Data Rescue can't do a search. Probably because its NTFS.
    I've also got a Win 7 PC here if that will be better?

----------

The 3TB Drive is still nearly full (6GB remaining) which means the files must be there. Daisydisk can only find 1.2TB of data.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Under Windows, I've always had success with the product from this company: http://www.bitmart.net

I've used the product more than once and it recovered most data (I accidentally formatted a Windows drive once and lost all the data on it - which was mostly recovered, the other time was a disk that would no longer mount - which I was able to recover all the data from).

Most of the software products for data recovery have trail modes which will allow you to search the drive to see if it will recover the data you need before you purchase. If one product doesn't work for you - certainly try another.

Sending the drive out to a service is going to be expensive. It's the "we can get the data back and you can't" tax.

And I wouldn't repair the permissions again until you get the data back. You don't want to write any data to the drive to avoid writing over data you want to recover.

6. cymad thread starter macrumors newbie

@ btbrossard
    You are my hero :)
    All other programs have failed to show me my missing folder.

Restorer Ultimate shows me my root folder with the missing directory as if nothing was ever wrong with the drive. Atm, I have to wait for my new external HDD to arrive so that I can extract the files via the program.

It seems as if all subdirectories and files are there :)
    yesss!!!! :)