Noooooo!!! my rMBP screen started peeling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benguild, Jan 18, 2016.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

I have a Late 2013 maxed out 15-inch. (October 2013)

It came with a Samsung display (thankfully) and I tried to have it replaced for a dead pixel one time and was given an LG. I asked them to swap it back because I'd rather have the pixel instead of the ghosting.

What's the status with screen swaps? I'm a heavy user of my machine... and if I get a swap now for this and it's an LG which starts ghosting in a year when I'm out of warranty, I'll be kind of upset. This is in its third year of AppleCare.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

That sucks. I would make an appointment and ask them if they could use a Samsung display when you get there and if they say they can't make a guarantee I would then decide if it's worth it.

3. Alexrat1996 Suspended

take to apple maybe they replace whole machine and give you 2015 macbook pro 15 inch

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I did last time but they said that they didn't know the brand of the display when they received the part. It's not possible for them to order a Samsung display specifically, is it?

5. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

6. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Personally I'd rather have the LG display(and I do, for which I am most grateful)... Image Persistence is a much smaller issue than a stuck pixel IMO. Also the AR coating issue that occurs on occasion seems to be more prevalent in the Samsung displays.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68000

How can you tell who make the display ? As far as dead pixels goes I'm ok with one or two. My gaming laptop has one and I don't notice it unless I go looking for it. Not worth the time shipping it to get an exchange

8. alphadog808 macrumors member

Wtf. How do I check what panel I have in my 2015 15"?

9. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

oreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Type this in terminal. Look at the beginning of the second line to see which manufacturer made your display. If it starts with LP then you have an LG display, if it starts with LSN it's Samsung :D

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of all the threads about the coating coming off, I've not seen any information as to the issue being related to Samsung and not LG.

Where did you hear that, i.e., do you have anything to back that up, or is it just an assumption you made?

11. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Image retention was a problem that affected LG screens when the rMBP was first released. But if you've bought a rMBP in the last year or so and have an LG screen, chances are you won't see any problems. As for the Samsung displays AR coating peeling more easily, this is news to me. Care to cite your source?

12. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

I have a rMBP mid 2012 with Samsung display and I have no issue. I cleaned the display even with napkin for glasses and no sign for coating.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Looks like "StainGate" to me.

Take it to an Apple Store.

I believe they have a screen replacement program going on through February 2016.
    So... don't delay!

14. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

They don't use the LG displays anymore, only the Samsung. A replacement would be fine.

15. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh? Since when? Are you talking about for replacements, or for new machines purchases only.

16. J3ffry macrumors member

My screen was replaced two weeks ago with a LG SJA2 screen. Perfect screen but also a little afraid of ghosting, was able to reproduce a little bit but think i'm gonna keep it and just watch how it turns out over time. From reading here I'm not sure it's an issue anymore, I asked the same question as you (how contemporary LG screens are holding up) but didn't got any responses, hell that was a lot different three years ago ;)

17. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

Both.

18. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Source of this information? Confirmation? Since what date?

19. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I had my Samsung display replaced last month (because of a creaky hinge) with an LG A019 display. No issues so far. So, yes, they do still use LG displays.

20. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

They don't use the crappy versions.

21. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK.
    Well I just got my Mac back today and it has an LG screen now.

Really hoping for the best, as this is my 4th screen swap in 3 years between two different computers.

22. powerslave12r macrumors 6502

So they did cover this under AppleCare, right?

I have been worried about reports of Apple turning a blind eye to the issue.

23. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I went to the store in Tokyo and they were fully aware of the problem and did not bat an eye at replacing the screen. I do have AppleCare until October, though.