iPhone XR Nor Cal launch, no one in line.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renho, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

9EDC98F5-B31D-481F-BE33-D79C585564D8.jpeg like everywhere else! I was the only one in Apple Store testing out the XR besides the 30 Apple employees. Pre order was soft, so was walk ins on launch.

How long till you think it will be the top seller, or will it?

The band is a different color then the glass. Does look a little weird. Bezels are noticbly larger.

2. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

It could be that Apple was able to do a better job at handling pre-orders? But that is just a guess. It could also be that the vast target audience will be the average consumer as opposed to the more tech-hungry folks. In that case, the average user I would surmise would be less likely to wait in line or rush to purchase.

I was in a nearby Apple store yesterday. There were maybe 30 or so customers in there. I saw one user with a phone that didn't have a home button and traditional bezels. I thought for sure I would see more people with newer devices.

3. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I think your second point is spot-on. My parents and siblings are the target market for this, and they'd never line up to get it on day 1. They'll likely order it for delivery in a few weeks, or go through their carrier.

4. ericg301 macrumors 65816

i thought the days of lining up ended years ago...maybe when iphone was an at&t exclusive? but now with so many carriers and retailers offering iPhone, along with a much better pre-order system...who the hell would waste their time standing in line?

i would guess there's zero correlation between the size of the lines and sales

5. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

How could pre-order be soft if the XR is experiencing 1-2 week delay for shipping?

6. Sugadaddy macrumors regular

People don't care about phone releases these days. They upgrade when their contract is up or they break their phone.

The XR will be the best selling iPhone this year, mostly because of price, but phone sales are declining overall.

7. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

The X had hundreds of people waiting, Just last year. The XS had 5, the XR has 0. In my store.

8. now i see it macrumors 68040

Fanatic enthusiasts wait inline. That's the XS crowd. XR buyers aren't that type.

9. ericg301 macrumors 65816

well that just proves the point that the X and XS phones are for the die-hard premium apple fans while the Xr is for the mainstream user who doesn't want to line up.

10. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

Size of lines=hype, interest, demand.. Opening weekend sales are a big part of sales as a whole. Think 100 mill sold in a year, 20/25 mill of that in opening weekend. That’s how big of a hype they create, the yearly upgrades compared to once every 3/4 years.

11. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

This could be some of the explanation possibly...

The people that want the latest, greatest iPhone generally frequent right around launch date Apple Store. Those fine with a XR or discounted 8 would more likely purchase from a carrier directly, nor necessarily on launch day?

12. predation macrumors 65816

Planned/timed releases.

13. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

Actually they do, cause last year the X had hundreds lineing up, pre orders slipped after hours.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    They made online like that on purpose. you notice one day you could still order for instore pickup on launch day and launch day delivery. Then the very next day all models and colors for all carriers were nov 5.

14. est1738 macrumors regular

Same at my apple store when I was picking mine up. I was 30 minutes early from my pick up time because I wanted to check out all the colors even though I ordered white (which I stuck with). They asked me if I was there to pick one up and told them that I was early, they still got me in and I wasn’t out before my beginning pick up time.

15. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

The iPhone XR has a billliiiioon different colors and configurations. It will be the top selling iPhone because of price. Did we honestly think they will sell out this weekend? Lol. On top of that, you have the option of getting the XS and XS Max. So many options available.

16. Wags macrumors 65816

Because Apple can say whatever it wants. There was lots of preorder supply then overnight, no supply.
    No way Apple can have the impression that it is not the best selling ever. They have already told investors this will be the best and most selling iPhone this year.

17. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I bet that one can wait till tomorrow morning when Apple re-enables the available for pick up instore and there will be plenty.

18. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

for sure. I went into mine this morning and they had everything but yellow 64/256gb
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    Yes, but opening weekend sales is a big figure for a launch. or should i say "was"

19. Appurushido macrumors 6502

It was mainly due to having it's first redesign in 3yrs since the iPhone 6. I would assume 2019 flagship iPhones will still use the X and XS/MAX design. As it looks, it might be a 3yr cycle on the designs. That's just IMHO.

20. Renho thread starter macrumors 68000

Renho

Ya rumors already suggest that. I guess they seen most people upgrade every 3 years so that’s what they are going to stick to. The price better stay the same for a while.