Normal 4S Battery Usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hexonxonx, Jan 7, 2012.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

89% after one hour with NO apps installed and iCloud not used. Only thing running is Gmail through exchange. Phone was set up as new and not even connected to iTunes after restoring. This one is through Verizon. I wonder if the fact that I have no 3G while in my house could be draining the battery. It sucks that I transferred my number from AT&T to come to this mess.

I've been trying to figure this battery thing out all day. It's probably going back to BestBuy tomorrow for an exchange.

I had bought a 64GB 4S back in November through AT&T that didn't do this.

2. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Here is a guide link the you can look over, Apple battery

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Do you have wifi in your house? one of THE BIGGEST iphone battery killers that I've found is lack of a 3g signal. I don't think there's any way to turn off 3g (anymore) therefore the phone just searches and searches for a signal. I was at a company lunch function when I figured this out. Back in the back room of a resturant and glanced at my phone to see that it had dropped like a rock in a very short time. I simply txt my wife and told her the situation (so she would not panic if she tried to get in touch with me) then put it in airplane mode till I left.

Sitting at my house I have a full wifi signal and 3 verizon 3G bars. At work, I can have anywhere from no signal to 3 bars.... it depends. But in a meeting at work in one of our internal rooms, NOTHING. Airplane mode it is.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet cause I have a 3G signal at home is if a wifi signal compnsates for lack of 3G signal in any way. I would think for email and [push] update purposes it does but still won't prevent the phone from constantly polling for a signal.

hope this helps

4. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, I have WiFi at home but that really didn't make a difference in the battery drain. Since the original iPhone, I have always kept WiFI turned on because it really never used much battery power with it on.

Today I can make calls and even use the web a bit here and there. I went upstairs and even downloaded speediest.net app and ran it. I got just under 1Mbps, something that was impossible to do on Saturday.

I read somewhere that Verizon uses a different system Sunday Through Thursday. If that's true, it would explain my phone working today.

I've now completely charged my phone and unplugged it. I'm not going to use it for a few hours other than to check the battery only by hitting the home button and not unlocking. Only app installed is the speediest one, nothing else running besides Gmail through Exchange.