Normal amount of light leak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T-bag, Mar 22, 2011.

1. T-bag, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

T-bag Guest

Hi! I'm perfectly happy with my new 2011 17" MBP, except for this: the light is a little uneven. Only noticeable with very dark backgrounds, and I think it gets better after leaving it on for a while. Here is a pic: http://cl.ly/1g3b191F2i0r3K150d1B .

The iPhone camera made it a little blueish, this is in a dark room with a black background.

My 14 day window expires today, but I can't return the machine anyway cause I need the machine for school. Should I contact Apple about this or is this normal? Will Apple still replace/fix my screen if I complain about it in the summer holiday? I really need to get some comments on my pictures.

EDIT: Additional pictures

http://cl.ly/1D3n3C1A3h1I2G3Z3q2p Taken right after boot
    http://cl.ly/0G1D1G1v430B1x0I452f Taken right after boot
    http://cl.ly/40193G2F0W3v0Y3c3S1a Taken after 20 minutes with an external display connected at the same time
    http://cl.ly/453y3L2N0a1v2o2s1Q1m Taken after 20 minutes with an external display connected at the same time

Thanks

2. T-bag thread starter Guest

3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

To me that is noticeable and unacceptable. It can and will be replaced if you ask.

But you don't need to return it in the first 14 days, you can have it replaced under the normal 1 year warranty. Bring it in at an Apple Store or if you don't have any close by call AppleCare and schedule a pick up.

4. T-bag thread starter Guest

Thank you.

I will call apple to tell them about this, and hopefully they can send a replacement before I have to return the machine.

5. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

It's impossible to say because those pictures appear extremely overexposed and taken by a bad camera in darkness. If you post a close up picture in bright lighting for comparison it would be easier to judge.

6. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Really? I can see significant lighting inconsistency in every one of those picture...

7. T-bag thread starter Guest

Here is a new photo, also taken with my iPhone. Lights on, and black screen with the background light turned all the way up.

http://cl.ly/2p2v1r113C0F0Q2R1z2w

I've sent a mail to my local apple reseller, asking how long it will take to sort this out. Gonna call apple too, and hear what they want me to do. Should I accept it if the store wants to replace the screen, or should I only accept a replacement?

8. T-bag thread starter Guest

If this is a very normal problem with the mbp's, I wont spend my time worrying about this before I can be apart from my laptop a few weeks, unless the process only takes a few days. As tears apart said, I have a year, and I will get it fixed eventually.

9. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

If that's an accurate representation of what you see than yes that looks defective. If you are within 14 days i'd exchange it, otherwise, i'd still make them exchange it.

I have the same model and at full brightness on a black background it's not totally black but still much better than yours. At about 4 ticks from max, it's totally black. I will try and post a picture of mine for comparison under similar lighting when i get home.

10. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

exchange it, if you can afford it. Apple will build your new one while you keep your new one and then will refund you, once the bad one is returned. That's a lot of light, considering you paid extra for the 17 screen over the 15 it should be nice. Mine isn't anywhere near that bad, I'm doing an exchange for other reasons tho, but have similar BTO options as you. I'm using my bad one until I get my new one because I'm also a student.

11. T-bag thread starter Guest

Thanks all! Appreciate you posting a photo, teflon. I'll call Apple in the morning and see if they can replace it before I gotta return it or something.

I'll report back after.

12. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

13. T-bag thread starter Guest

Thanks! Really glad I called Apple about this today. They helped me out big time, even though the 14 day window was closed. They're sending me a replacement at no charge, while I keep my current one until I get it. What a relieff! Now, can anyone tell me how to clone my current drive to the replacement machine? :)

14. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

Glad they are replacing it for you. If you can post a shot of the new screen for comparison purposes.

15. T-bag thread starter Guest

Will do! Reckon it will take approx two weeks or so since they gotta build it first.

16. T-bag thread starter Guest

Got my replacement today, and couldn't be any happier. No problems with it whatsoever. Much more consistent backlight. I may post some pictures later, but now I just wanna use my perfect MBP :).

If I turn the backlights all the way off in a a dark room, I can se a VERY small amount uneven backlight, but I guess it's impossible to get it a 100% with this technology. Can only notice this if I really stare at the screen for 10 seconds (which is stupid and very negligible).

17. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Mine is on service for the same reason, I hope I get a perfect screen too (although I have the eerie feeling I won't ;))