'Normal' AT&T Data Unlimited Plan with Factory Unlocked iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AVFC, Jul 20, 2009.

1. AVFC macrumors newbie

I am in the process of being shipped an iPhone from Australia by a mate of mine over there. I was planning to use it on AT&T with just a normal unlimited data plan rather than the one specifically for the iPhone (for obvious reasons). My question is whether AT&T will know that I am using an iPhone on their network despite it not being bought from the US (IMEI number?) and if they do, would they go ahead and force me on to their iPhone data plan? Surely the iPhone data plan is only for iPhones bought with an AT&T contract in order to cover the cost of their big subsidisation of the phone?

I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.

2. TomatoTomago macrumors newbie

the iphone data plan is required for all iphone used on AT&T network. even though your 3gs isnt bought in the usa, it's still an iphone.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The iPhone data rate plan is the same for all SMART PHONES.

The iPhone does not have a spacial rate plan.

And to answer your question YES ATT will know and YES Att will bill you for it. You might get away with it for a month or 2 and in the 3rd month you will get back billed for 2 months of data.

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Wow, where to start. Let's start with informing you that your Australian iPhone will not be covered by a warranty here in the USA. Are you sure that you want to risk that? :eek:

Now back to your specific questions: Yes, AT&T will know that you are using an iPhone. Your iPhone will self-identify everytime it connects to the network.

The official AT&T policy is that all iPhones require a qualified iPhone data plan when used on the AT&T network. Yes there are ways to get around that but since you are spending big bucks to get an Unlock iPhone without a valid US warranty why not splurge for the data plan that is only $1 per day. :eek:

Now for the 10,000th time: Yes, you can get around the iPhone data plan but it also means that you will not have access to Visual Voicemail. Visual Voicemail (VVM) requires a valid iPhone data plan.

Yes there are customers that don't care about VVM so yes you can use any of the AT&T data plans if you setup your phone correctly. Just drop by the Hacking sub-forum: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105 for all the ugly details.

Dave

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Dude, why you even bother responding? Go read the AT&T website, iPhone 3G plan is mandatory at $30, which is double the unlimited web plan for other smart phone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you try to use a different or cheaper data plan they'll eventually notice it and notify you.
    It might take 2-3 weeks or 2-3 months.
    Like mentioned above visual voicemail wont work.
    And yes AT&T knows exactly what cellphone you're using to connect to their network the second you put your simcard and power on the phone.
    They might not check or find out right away but they do periodical sweeps.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never heard of that before.
    I heard of people still using 2G data plans with their 3G iphones and been ignoring AT&T's emails/text messages about incompatible plan and never got double billed or have AT&T change their data plan.

8. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Sorry but no, the iPhone data plans are different then other "SMART PHONES". All iPhone data plans include Visual Voicemail (VVM) and the original iPhone data plan includes 200 SMS Txt messages in the $20 data plan.

So while the price may be the same at $30 for the iPhone 3G / 3GS they are distinct data features. Yes, they are really Features. Just check OLAM and you will see that they are identified as "Data Features" even thought we all type iPhone data plan.

Currently AT&T is not adding the iPhone data feature unless you are in a select market that is undergoing an active audit. Currently the most that could happen from a cost point of view is that the correct iPhone data plan will added to your line (no there is no back billing for previous months). The VVM is one of the current issues with AT&T being able to just "add" the iPhone data plan if you are using an "invalid" plan. They have to add the iPhone data plan but not add VVM since adding VVM would reset your VM and you would lose any voicemail messages.

Dave

9. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

The info about them finding out may not be correct. I went without a dataplan for two years with my 2G. You may need to unlock it to get away with it. And as long as you have any ATT account will service your phone. Country shouldn't matter.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its different not having a dataplan and having the wrong data plan.
    Some try to scam AT&T to save $10-20 per month and use a different cheaper unlimited data plan for a RAZR or other nonsmart phone for example.
    I know many people without a dataplan that never got bothered.
    Also now they even allow you to remove the data plan on the 2G iphones.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm dude you are wrong. The $15 a month is the cost for all non smart phones.

Please see the attach photo that uses a Sam Sung Jack which is a smart phone from ATT web site. Please note what I circled because I recommend you check you facts before you try telling me I am wrong.

The other reason I know this is I was just at ATT last month dealing with getting a smart phone and saw it was a $30 a month charge for data and that was for the blackberry. My brother has a blackjack II with data on it and that is $30 a month.

Either way pleas see the attach photo proving you are wrong.

Attached Files:

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Perhaps it has to do with my Premier account then, because I did verify before posting.

13. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

OK, so you are both wrong. There are multiple data plans available from AT&T that range from $10, $15, $20, $30, $45, $50, $50 and yes you can use any of them with an iPhone. It just takes a litte effort. However, any data plan that is not an iPhone eligible data plan is considered an invalid data plan and is subject to the AT&T TOS that state for the 10,000th time:

If it is determined that you are using iPhone or other designated Smartphone or PDA without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

Source: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp
    Dave

14. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

False. You will not get back billed. Your service will be upgraded to the proper plan.