Normal battery? 97% health.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jongewehr, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

hey guys , i got my mac in may, New, it came with a few cycles, an its on 70 cycles now, an 97% health , is that normal? wat % can i get a new one under apple care

2. Justin Lee macrumors member

Unibody? 17"?

I would say that your battery is absolutely fine. Most batteries drop by this amount after a few charges and then settle down.

3. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

15 unibody early 09

ok as long as it will ast 5 yrs as promised

4. Justin Lee macrumors member

I am figuring that 1000 charges have been promised, so each percent equates to 10 charges (100/1000). You have cycled about 70 times so this would mean you could expect to be at 93% health? You're higher than this so you are ok IMO :)

5. Justin Lee macrumors member

...and it has taken you approximately 4 months to charge 70 times, so you make about 210 charges per year, or 1050 charges over 5 years. So again, you are looking good for 5 years.

All of this assumes the battery health depletes in a predictable fashion :)

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Like the others have said, your battery is perfectly fine.

As for your second question, I believe AppleCare will cover defective batteries at anytime (as in the battery does not hold anywhere close to a full charge and/or has other issues like swelling) and will replace depleted batteries once their maximum charge is below 80% of original.

I'm not entirely sure on the details of when Apple will replace a depleted battery, but I'm sure if anything is out of the ordinary Apple will take care of it without much trouble (especially if you have AppleCare).