Normal Boot time on Macbook Pro (Unibody, late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shotters-nation, Feb 5, 2010.

1. shotters-nation macrumors newbie

What should be the "normal" boot time of an Unibody MBP (Late 2008)?

My hardware:
    15'' display / 2,4 GHz / 4GB RAM DDR3 / 250GB hard drive (40% free space) / Mac OS 10.6.2

Need 2:10 minutes from pushing start button to loaded desktop, seems quite slow? App Folder size (20GB) doesn't seem to effect the boot time, and start up items are Caffeine/Jitouch/Little Snitch/iStat. (to much?)

I need about 1:15min. to get away from the apple logo boot screen, the problem seems to be in the OS load up?

Any advice/tips/hints?.... would be great....

2. shotters-nation thread starter macrumors newbie

I did some board research, but still there seems to be no real solution for the problem and most users get boot time about 1 minute...

I am thinking about making a backup with time machine and restore it for defragmentation and before that maybe "Archive and Install" Mac OS 10.6?

EDIT:

Did a reinstall of snow leopard without deleting any files and combo update to 10.6.2 + some other updates. Now boot time went down to 1:20 minutes, which seems to be okay for the slow hard drive (5400rpm). I think system files were not "boot optimized", none of them were missing but needed longer to load.