"Normal" Broadband speeds on the US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ipsychedelic, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, out of curiosity, what would you say is the "average" broadband speeds contracted by geeks or tech enthusiasts on the US (leaving aside other people since they probably just don't care for high speeds).

Basically I also ask because I've seen people complaining about not having 4G (e.g on the iPhone) and how their 4G speeds are faster than those on their homes.
    And since I assume 4G on the US gives an average of what, 40mbps? Then I wonder if most people have something like 20?

But then, I've seen forums and blogs with people showing up speeds and sometimes they are in the 80/90mbps range which seems a lot to me (I must be really outdated in this field, since I thought some years ago 1000 mbps was the fastest available and only Japanese had that kind of speed).

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

In my small town I only get 7 down, but my verizon 4g gets 40.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

We have 25-30MBPS down and that's considered high speed, with 10-20MBPS being average for our area. Internet service in the US is a ripoff though; my friend knew someone in the UK who paid about the same for 100MBPS as we do for the 25-30MBPS.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have 24mbps down, and that's plenty for me, I couldn't justify paying for anything faster, it's hard enough to justify paying for 24 as it is.

5. zainiak macrumors regular

Normal in my area is 1 to 3 Mbps down and .5 up. Since I'm a techie I couldn't handle speeds that low. I switched from AT&T to charter and get 25-35mbps down and 5-10 up. I pay for 15/5

6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I have 12mbps down and 1mbps up, and pay more for it than a friend in the UK pays for 100mbps down and 10mbps up.

7. ipsychedelic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Wow great. Thanks a lot guys for the insight. Guess I was making figures on my mind about stuff that wasn't so realistic, or at least, not that common.