Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MHanretty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I'm looking for a bit of advice on expected charging behaviour: I have been using iPads since the 1st gen launched and, at the end of the day, I have always plugged in the charging cable and powered off the device, so it is at full charge the next day.

Until I purchased my iPad Pro 2022 (11 inch), my iPads have always remained powered off, until I powered them back on in the morning. However, my new iPad seems to consistently boot up again sometime during the night, when connected to the charging cable. Again, I have to stress, I always power off the device after plugging in the charging cable.

Has anyone else experienced the same behaviour? I booked an appointment to discuss this at the Genius Bar but they told me it was normal for iPhones and iPads to eventually power back on, when connected to a power supply. I would accept this were it not for the fact that all my other devices (including my current 2020 iPhone SE) haven't ever exhibited this behaviour.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
What you do if far from ideal for battery health. There is not much point in powering off, as regularly powering on is an unnecessary stress for the battery (with no benefits) and leaving the device plugged in while fully charged keeps the voltage at peak level which over time reduces the battery capacity.

Powering off only makes sense when you don't use the device for a long period (and in that case ideally it should be left with a charge of around 60%)

Reactions: MHanretty

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Has anyone else experienced the same behaviour?
Few people will power their devices off every night, especially iPads that are so power efficient they can stay turned on for weeks. I haven't turned any of my iPads off ever. There is just no reason to.

Reactions: MHanretty

MHanretty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
What you do if far from ideal for battery health. There is not much point in powering off, as regularly powering on is an unnecessary stress for the battery (with no benefits) and leaving the device plugged in while fully charged keeps the voltage at peak level which over time reduces the battery capacity.

Powering off only makes sense when you don't use the device for a long period (and in that case ideally it should be left with a charge of around 60%)

Yes, I am beginning to understand this argument, which is why this issue may be a moot point. I probably will move to only powering off my iPad when I have any issues or when it isn't going to be used for multiple days to a week (although it's my daily driver for all but gaming and work).

They lied. It's not normal.

Maybe the cable connection is loose or dirty (clean the cable, clean the socket), or the power supply is fluctuating.

I don't think it's a power supply issue, as I use the same power strip to charge my iPhone and my 2017 iPad Pro (which I have yet to sell, as I was using this as my control), and neither of these devices are restarting on their own.

Reactions: Digitalguy

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
That's new to me. All my iOS devices i ever had always turned themselves on once a power cable was connected. I just know from android that these can be powered without starting the full os.

MHanretty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
All my devices will power on, from a powered off state, if a power cable is connected.

The unusual behaviour i’m experiencing is that I am plugging in the cable, then powering off the iPad, but the device subsequently boots up again during the night.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
All my devices will power on, from a powered off state, if a power cable is connected.

The unusual behaviour i’m experiencing is that I am plugging in the cable, then powering off the iPad, but the device subsequently boots up again during the night.

Maybe Apple changed the behavior on newer models/firmware? I haven't really tested recently.

What I do now is schedule charging via smart plug from 4am - 5.30am. That way, it's at 90-100% when I wake up.

MHanretty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I charge my devices overnight, no problem. Apple built in protection so the battery will not be overcharged. Btw, my iPad does turns on by itself at night as well if I turn it off before.

Interesting. Which model of iPad are you using? Also, and apologies for maybe labouring the point here - are you turning off the iPad after you plug in the charging cable?

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
I would get your house checked out for any spirits. A friend of mine had the same issue and it turned out he had demonic spirits in his house. He hired an summons priest to attend his place and cleanse it.

• Haha
Reactions: floral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.